Earthinkg DSL and wireless

I have set up many a wireless network in homes of the people I work with. It is quite easy in fact. However, last night, I about blew my brains out...

This lady has earthlink DSL at home and got a second computer with a wireless card in it. She wanted it to be connected to earthlink DSL as well with a wireless router.

No problem. I connect the netgeat wireless 4 port router to the NETOPIA (earthlinks) DSL router, and connect the old computer to a lan port on the netgear 802.11b/g router.

Wonderful! Now, both computers can access the internet wonderfully!

But wait, she checks her earthlink email viea a program called "Earthlink Total Access" Which i assume is a proprietary program, maybe like AOLs browser...?

Well, the sucker will NOT connect, from either computer. All settings are right, username and password are fine.

However, if I plug the computers DIRECTLY into the NETOPIA router, earthink total access works just finen

SO I call earthlink and ask them to help me with the settings on the netgear router so it will work. No luck. They only support the router they gave her and will not tell me the settings I need in order to make this work.

So I left last night for a dinner date, having refused payment until I fix it. Id like to give it another try this coming monday, assuming I can get some help in here...

thanks in advance! Jazz Mann

Reply to
Jazz
Loading thread data ...

since she uses IE for internet browsing, should I just set up an outlook express account for her and get rid of total access all together? she works with me and is used to Outlook, and should have no problems with OE

Reply to
Jazz

I don't use Total Access with my Earthlink. It's not needed and what it does it doesn't do very well. But a lot of people like the all-in-one features.

Just a guess...

During Total Access installation, there is a specific option to select for connecting to the internet via a home network/router/wireless. So perhaps an uninstall/reinstall is called for. You should be provided an option to save all settings/email during uninstall. All firewalls and antivirus must be shutdown during install:

Learn About Total Access

formatting link
How to Upgrade
formatting link
Uninstall Total Access 2005
formatting link
Setting up your connection
formatting link
Lance

Jazz thought carefully and wrote on 1/14/2006 7:03 AM:

Reply to
Lance

If she's not dependent on it and you can supply anti-virus/spyware/adware alternatives, by all means rip it out and good riddance.

Lance

Jazz thought carefully and wrote on 1/14/2006 3:33 PM:

Reply to
Lance

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.