Dysfunctual Wireless Family

I live in a newer 1 story 2500sf home. The walls do not have foil backed insulation but we do have blown in insulation and metal studs within the house. I have a hardwired desktop and a new Dell XPS gen 2 laptop that has an Intel Pro Wireless 2915 adapter and a Netgear WGU 624 router. As long as the laptop is 4' away from the router I get great speeds, usually between 12 MBPS to sometimes 14MBps downloads. And am connected at 54 MBps. The problem occurs when I move the laptop to the family room or the living room which are between 30-40 feet away. The speeds drop precipitously. How can I find out what is causing the drop in speed and sometimes the entire connection? i.e. is it the router, adapter or house configuration? Or all three? I'm sure I could go out and purchase a new router and test it. And/or a new adapter but I was wondering if there were some way of testing this some other way. Moving the router to a different location is really not an option. Please advise. thank you. DotCom

Reply to
DotCom
Loading thread data ...

:-(

Your simple solution if you want networking is just drag some wire around the house as needed and be done it or start moving the router to various locations and test reception. Wireless is not all that and sometimes it's just not going to work in some situations.

Duane :)

Reply to
DotCom

Interesting. What exactly is that Gordon? DotCom

Would a network that uses the household power wiring perhaps work better in this kind of home? What are the advantages and disadvantages of setting up such a home network?

Reply to
DotCom

Your simple solution if you want networking is just drag some wire around the house as needed and be done it or start moving the router to various locations and test reception. Wireless is not all that and sometimes it's just not going to work in some situations.

Reply to
DotCom

Oh I just Googled it and it does sound quite interesting. Anybody have any experience with this type set up? DotCom

Would a network that uses the household power wiring perhaps work better in this kind of home? What are the advantages and disadvantages of setting up such a home network?

Reply to
DotCom

"DotCom" wrote in news:AI2dnb0Pm9hjtfDenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Reply to
Gordon

Gordon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I don't know but I hear there is that technology that allows networking of computers with a house's existing electrical or telephone wiring something like that and it's supposed to be good.

I am sure you'll find info using Google.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

"DotCom" wrote in news:AI2dnb0Pm9hjtfDenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

This router has several extra features which are stretching the WiFi standards - e.g. "Fast Lane", "Double 108", "Super A+G". Suggest you try switching off all of these iffy features so you're using bog standard WiFi, and try again.

Try relocating the router, if possible. Most experts recommend locating it high and central to the area of coverage.

Try different transmission channels on the router. Reception can be quite quirky at the frequencies WiFi operates.

Reply to
McSpreader

Sounds like interference.

I imagine that there are other WiFi users in your block, so you might want to try changing you WiFi router vroadcast channel from, say, 1 to 6, or 6 to

11 (as these are non-overlapping). As Duane says, try moving the router around the house/flat, and try re-orienting the antennae (teh signal radiates along the length of (a vertically oriented) aeriel (horizontally) in a doughnut fashion - weak spots thus being directly above and below.
Reply to
__spc__

I can't really move the router much due to the configuration of the house. I do have it not to far off the floor. I can try moving it higher to a shelf but that will actually make the distance shorter but I will try that along with placing the antennae at different angles. I don't have much knowledge on this sort of stuff so pardon the noob questions but I did just log into the router and change the channel from 6 to 11. I'll see what that does for me but I must ask, the Intel Pro wireless adapter has software with it that I can see there are those same numbers under "Tools", "Adapter", "Ad Hoc Channel". Do I have to change this Ad Hoc Channel to 11 also, to match the router I just set at 11, or just leave it at it's present channel setting of 6? Your help is greatly appreciated. DotCom

Sounds like interference.

I imagine that there are other WiFi users in your block, so you might want to try changing you WiFi router vroadcast channel from, say, 1 to 6, or 6 to

11 (as these are non-overlapping). As Duane says, try moving the router around the house/flat, and try re-orienting the antennae (teh signal radiates along the length of (a vertically oriented) aeriel (horizontally) in a doughnut fashion - weak spots thus being directly above and below.
Reply to
DotCom

"DotCom" wrote in news:mqSdnfZ3SrbEh snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

AD HOC mode on the wireless NIC is for allowing two or more computers to do wireless networking without a router being involved. The example would be a computer that has a wire NIC in it connected to the modem and the computer had a wireless NIC in it with ICS enabled on the NIC and that computer being the gateway computer to the Internet, Other wireless computers using AD-Hoc can point to that machine's wireless NIC and use that wireless connection to access the Internet.

Infrastructure mode is for use with the wireless router as the gateway device to the Internet and all wireless machines are using the router to access the Internet.

So obviously, doing anything with AD-HOC in your situation is moot.

If you cannot drag CAT 5 cable around the house, then you can look into networking where it can be done by using a device that allows a network to be created that uses the house's existing electrical or telephone wiring using the outlets in each room in the house and you plug up and GO. There is that technology that can do that and I am not talking about dial-up networking.

That's if you don't get your wireless situation corrected.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Power line networking works quite well in most cases.

Reply to
John Navas

With 54g connections, I find that watching the "current bandwidth" in the Windows perfmon.msc is a pretty good signal indicator. start-run-perfmon.msc + Performance Object = Network Numbers agree with dslreports. + Performance Object = TCP "current bandwidth"

My preferred laptop spot is about 40 feet from my router. It was marginal until I added a Windsurfer reflector.

formatting link
EZ-12, printed on photo paper for thick stock, with aluminum foil glued to the sail, provides a substantial boost in signal.
formatting link
The signal with the reflector is not only 13dB stronger, it's more stable.

My SMC card, with some proprietary 22MbpS mode, played well with other

802.11b routers, but wouldn't play reliably with my Netgear 54g router until I disabled the 22MbpS mode on the card.
Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.