Dynamic & Static IP Address

I am running a home network with multiple Windows XP machines attached to the Internet with a Linksys WRT54GS router with the DHCP function turned on. Is it possible to have one of my machines use a static IP address instead of the one leased by the router. I know how to setup a static ip address, and I am using a number in the same subnet mask but I can't get access to the Internet. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
Charlie
Loading thread data ...

Yeah, you can do that.

Just what static IP are you using on the router that you have configured the NIC to use? Are the gate way IP, subnet mask and ISP's DNS IP(s) being used correctly?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

That's the normal way a router is setup.

Yes. I do it all the time. Devices that do not move around (network printers, print server, gateways, TIVO boxes, weather stations, etc) should generally have staticly assigned IP addresses.

I *HATE* the word "access" as it doesn't tell me anything about the problem. My guess(tm) is that you have everything correct except the DNS servers. Your "access" problem is an inability to resolve address names into IP addresses.

If you know how to setup your IP address, you're close. I'll assume Windoze XP Home.

1. Select an IP address that is NOT in the DHCP address range. Linksys uses 192.168.1.100 thur .150. Stay out of that range.
  2. Select an IP address that is NOT duplicated anywhere else on your network.
  3. The netmask should be 255.255.255.0
  4. The gateway address is the address of your router, usually
192.168.1.1 for Linksys.
  1. The DNS servers can be either the address of the router or the real DNS servers as provided by your ISP. For the WRT54GS, either will work.

You neglected to specify *WHY* you are assigning a static IP address. My guess(tm) is that you are using remote desktop, PC Anywhere, or other server application on this computer, and need a static IP address to insure that the router port forwarding goes to the correct computer. There's a much easier way to do this.

1. Setup the computer for DHCP assigned IP addresses.
  2. Dive into the Linksys router setup and look for the "static DHCP" configuration section on the bottom of the DHCP page.
  3. Find the computer by its MAC addresses and assign it a "static DHCP" IP address that is inside the DHCP assigned range.
  4. Save the router config.

This will insure that the router DHCP server will reserve this IP address for the specific MAC address of the computer and will not assign it to any other device.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.