DWL-520+ Xtreme problems with windows XP

Hi there,

I've just done a fresh install of XP (home) on my brother-in-laws PC and can't get his dlink wireless card working. I've tried all the drivers that I can find on the dlink site and windows still won't recognise the card. In device manager it's listed as a network connector with a yellow exclamation mark. If i try installnig drivers it won't find any, even if i point it to the unzipped driver folder.

The 'stairs' icon comes up in the system tray but has a cross through it. If I double click it, the dlink utility appears, saying 'driver not load' at the top, then dissapears.

It's firmware version 1.0.1 and hardware version A.

What can i do? tried contacting Dlink, they say it may be a faulty card as the link light doesn't come on. It was working earlier in the day though. I tried it in another PCI slot.

I don't have the cd that came with it either.

The system specs that I can remember:

1.8ghz Intel processor 'Epox' motherboard of some sort with an SiS chipset (would installing SIS drivers make any difference? How do I know which ones are needed?) and nforce2. 256mb of ram

Another problem with the machine is that one of the hard drives won't detect. Again, was working fine earlier in the day. I removed the two existing hard drives from the machine, put a new drive in and installed windows on it. Then I removed the new drive and tried the system was it was, it wouldn't detect one of the hard drives. If both were connected it wouldnt' see either, if the 'working' one was connected it would be detected. if just the other one was connected, it can't find it. I've tried playing around with jumper settings and ide cables.

Any help greatly appreciated. I feel really bad for basically messing up my bro in law's pc.

Reply to
jspesh
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.