DWL-2100AP question

Hi I just bought this D-Link DWL-2100AP.... the manual says it can run any of 5 modes. I am interested in 2 of them. either a point-to-point bridge, or a repeater. my other access point is a netgear. I am having trouble running it in any of those two modes. does anyone know if i need to have another D-Link on the other side, instead of the a netgear?

thanks hilz

Reply to
hilz
Loading thread data ...

You're going to have problems with both of these modes.

What model number?

Probably won't work. The problem with bridge mode is that it usually requires an identical wireless bridge on the other end. That's because the bridging protocols are largely proprietary and require the same chipset on both ends to work.

Same problem with the repeater. The DWL-2100 supports WDS (wireless distribution system) store and forward repeater mode. For a list of supported devices, see:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

What type of VPN support were you expecting? Terminating a VPN? What type of VPN? IPSec, PPTP, etc?

VPN passthru is not an issue because there's no router in the DWL-2100AP. Access points and client radios are briges, not routers. They know NOTHING about IP addresses, VPN's, and layer 3 services. They're nothing more than encapsulation of ethernet packets. Every service, on every IP port number, should work though a bridge. Check your setup (and assumptions).

No luck required, but it is helpful. I'm not sure a rabbits foot or karma recharge will help with wireless networking.

How should I know? If you would kindly disclose what you are trying to accomplish, and what you have to work with (hardware, software, models, versions), perhaps we can be of some help. Pretend I don't know ANYTHING about your setup, hardware, software, OS, topology, wiring, application, goals in life, finances, etc.

Hint: If you use the word "it" without having it point to a specific item that you previously detailed, then I have to dig out my crystal ball and summon the spirits. Lately, the spirits have been rather uncooperative and my ability to guess what the hell you're trying to accomplish is rather limited.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for the answer, Jeff.

The other router is Netgear MR-814

I got the D-Link DWL-210AP to work in a third mode "client AP", which is fine.... but it seems it does not support VPN. Am i out of luck connecting to my work network using this D-Link AP? or is there anything i can do to make it work? I have the latest firmware 2.0.

thanks hilz

Reply to
hilz

Jeff: Than you for your help. You've been of great help. Even though i have not provided enough information for you to give me a complete answer, but your suggestions/explanations helped a lot.

I got everything working now, including the VPN.

If you or anyone else is interested in knowing the whole situation...here is the details of what i did. I am only sharing this because it might be of benefit to someone who is running into the same situation.

What i am trying to do is to have internet connection at two disjoint locations using one dsl line. The way i acheived this is by doing the following: i connected the dsl modem to a Netgear MR-814 router at the first location. At the second location, i placed the D-Link DWL-2100AP running in "client AP" mode, and connected it (wire connection) to a Netgear WGR614 router.

This setup allowed me to have two wirless networks (one at each location) provided by the Netgear routers. The D-Link acted as an AP for the second network. VPN worked at both locations because the two netgear routers support VPN (I honestly don't know what type of VPN it is!)

Thank you for all the help. hilz

Reply to
hilz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.