dumb router question

If my router/internet connection is working fine do I need to install the software that came with my router?

Here are the details.

I have a Netgear wireless router and a network of three computers at home. One of my boxes is connected with a cable to the router and the other two are wireless. I want to rebuild the box that's connected to the router via a cable. So I installed an extra (non-wireless) network adaptor on one of my formerly wireless boxes and connected it to the router. I then disconnected the previous computer that I had connected to the the router with a cable, the box I'm going to rebuild.

My question is this. The router and internet connection are still active, do I need to install the software that came with the router on the box that is now connected to the router? Is there any software that I need to administer the router for example? If I start the install program the software seems to be for setting up a new router and getting connected to the internet.

I seem to remember administering the router via a web interface. Is it safe to assume that I can do that without installing anything on my 'new' box connected with a cable to the router?

Hope I explained this OK. Thanks for the input.

Reply to
engwar1
Loading thread data ...

What is all this? Will cut to the chase here? What is it that you're trying do? So, what is it, you got a machine with wire and wireless NIC(s) in it?

Why are you even doing it? Why don't you just go to the card's Website, download its driver and install and configure it with the Windows O/S Device Manager, if this is a NT based class O/S?

To access the router admin screens all you need is a computer that's connected to the router wired or wireless and use the browser and that's it and nothing else.

It's questionable.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

If it works.. don't try and "fix" it.

Reply to
Doz

You don't need any software to use routers.

You may need something to configure it, but I've yet to meet a router that you couldn't either get to via a web interface, or via telnet. I threw away the CDs that came with all four of the routers I've used now, and never missed any of them.

Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Big mistake throwing the disks away, with spring in the air, they make great coasters for picnics. Keeps your glass/cup from getting dirty on public picnic tables. AOL used to be great for that as well.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.