Dumb question?

I just installed an Atheros AR5002G mini PCI card in my IBM T23. I have 2 micro coaxes running up the back of my screen to where I intend on putting 2 home made antennas. So, should Windows

2000 be reporting that the "network cable is unplugged"? Does that mean I have no 802.11 network in range or does it mean there is a problem with the radio card?

Yes, I know I won't receive anything without antennas - I'm just worried that there might be a problem with the card. Diagnostics show -92dbm signal and the same -92db noise level.

Ken

Please reply to kg0wx at hotmail dot com - thanks!

Reply to
kg0wx
Loading thread data ...

when you are on wifi that message means the cable in the ethernet port is missing.

Reply to
bumtracks

My built in ethernet daughtercard is working and displayed as a separate icon in my tray. I currently connect via that daughtercard to my cable modem and the new WiFi radio is used for wardriving and experiments. Eventually I'll probably set up a 802.11g access point in my house but for now I'm just playing around.

I just want to make sure the new card is working as it should.

Ken

Reply to
kg0wx

Check device manager to see if it shows up.. It'll also be in you "network connection" (assuming your using windows xp etc)

Reply to
Doz

I'm on Win 2k Pro SP4. It does show up in device manager with no problems reported so I guess it's working.

I guess the only way to answer this question is to go mobile and see if I pick up (using Net Stumbler) the signal from a local java shop that has WiFi for it's patrons. I'll also see if the coffee is good at the same time lol.....

Ken

Reply to
kg0wx

I'm on Win 2k Pro SP4. It does show up in device manager with no problems reported so I guess it's working.

I guess the only way to answer this question is to go mobile and see if I pick up (using Net Stumbler) the signal from a local java shop that has WiFi for it's patrons. I'll also see if the coffee is good at the same time lol.....

Ken

Reply to
kg0wx

Hi, Better install IBM Access Connection and create some profiles for your needs. I have T21 and that's what I did. Running same OS as yours.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

"kg0wx" hath wroth:

Some (not all) IBM/Lenovo laptops are picky about which MiniPCI cards you cram into them. It's the firmware in the laptop that's coded to prevent mortals from purchasing commodity wireless MiniPCI cards and preserve the type certification.

Did you get a: 1802 Unauthorized network card is plugged in. Power off and remove the Mini PCI network card. message on boot?

I don't think the T23 is affected by this problem but it's worth checking: |

formatting link
|
formatting link
Approved list of cards, that does NOT include the T23: |
formatting link
the T23 is NOT listed, it might be possible to assume that it's not affected by this problem. Hopefully not.

If you can post to usenet, you can read it on usenet.

Also, it's not a dumb question, but it is a dumb choice of subject line. I decide what to read based on the subject. It would be helpful if the subject line contained something related to your question.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yeah, right. You forgot the smiley. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.