DSL+wireless router = slower than Dialup - Why?

I have a new Netgear wireless router, a higher-than-normal DSL connection via Verizon, and a new high-end Sony laptop. The Mbps speed is constantly dropping from 54 Mbps to 1.0 Mbps, often getting stuck around 12 to 23 Mbps. As we speak, it's showing 2.0 Mbps. The result is a connection slower than a 56k Dialup connection.

I've run speed tests and it consistently shows an average speed worse than Dialup. I've run Norton anti-virus, anti-everything and the system is clean. Pandasoftware also says the system is absolutely clean.

I'm sitting within 15 feet of the wireless router. The connection is secured and there is no one else using the it. I'm in a residential neighborhood in Santa Monica, CA., and there are no abnormal electrical anything operating here or anywhere in the neighborhood.

The speed seems to drop when I try to go to a new website, to any new website. At those times, the progress bar on this IE 6.0 browser often indicates that it's stuck, that nothing is happening.

I don't recall if the router is a B or G, but I recall that it was the better of the two. Does anyone know why there is a constant failure of this NetGear wireless router?

Thanks,

Reply to
Scot
Loading thread data ...

I think you're confusing your local network speed with your Internet speed. Even 2,000,000 bps is faster than 56,000 bps. I suggest you connect your laptop directly to your wireless router with CAT5 cable and check your Internet and local network speeds. Compare your Internet download speed test to the advertised speed your ISP is providing you. Do you have more than one computer on your network? If so do both computers have the same perceived speed issues. 12 to 23 Mbps is not a bad wireless network connection. 2 Mbps is not a bad Internet download connection. If your hard wired connections are much better than your wireless connections than you need to trouble-shoot your wireless network. There are more knowledgeable folks on this NG to help with that.

Reply to
DanR

Sounds like a bad case of radio interference...

Have you tried changing the channel of your wifi router ?

Start on channel 1 then 6 .. then 9.. if you find one that works well stick with it.

Doz

Reply to
Doz

Doz may have it right. Often the default wireless channel is channel 6, which is the same as 2.4GHz wireless phones, if memory serves. Change your wireless network to some other channel once you've verified you don't have the problem with a hardwired connection.

Reply to
Rob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.