DSL IP change with router ?

A specific question. Non wi fi but a router question. A router that was attached to a DSL line is to be used by a nube for remote access ( stupid nube at that. ) DSL broadband connection. New D-Link DI604 router about a month old . The router is unattended throughout the nightime for an extended period. I am unsure of the settings of the router. Most likely default settings. The newer versions of routers seem to have higher default security settings than the older versions . When the router goes into an unattended mode and then the internet connection is reactivated will the ip change ? The DSL connection is to be used for remote access monitoring program. My concern is that the ip will change , making the remote access inaccessible and that a ip tracking program should be used. Any help with an answer to this question ?

Reply to
frankdowling1
Loading thread data ...

depends on your isp

I switch off the router which maintains internet connection after about two hours isp server does a releases/renewal of ip but ip is not restored because my end has no connection to renew. My old ip is up for grabs to the next user who needs an ip.

So i power up the router, it says hey isp give me ip... here ya go use this one, it gives me somebody else's old ip.

something like that anyhow

Reply to
bumtracks

Most DSL providers for a fee (extra $$) provide a static IP. If remote monitoring is involved this might be worth looking into.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Could a service such as

formatting link
do the trick ?

Rico wrote:

Reply to
frankdowling1

You might consider using the services of a "Dynamic DNS" (DDNS) service provider. I've had very good experiences with dyndns.org.

As you no doubt know, it is commonplace to represent a numeric IP address like, say 204.242.227.130, with a symbolic name like "RicoNet.homedns.org". Using DDNS, you can give your router a permanent, unchanging "Domain Name Address" that will be of that general format and that will remain constant even if your ISP changes the dynamic, numeric IP address that they assign to you. There are several DDNS service providers that offer free Dynamic DNS name facilities for small operations. Yours sounds like it would qualify.

This subject is covered in an article you can see here:

formatting link

I hope this helps.

Bob Bosen

formatting link
videos for people with work to do)

Reply to
Bob Bosen

Maybe, but the extra fee is likely tax deductable. Is this for a business or a hobby? But certainly dynamic DNS is an option. Most of these services will charge a fee and you can find lags in how quickly the 'new' IP propagtes to the various DNS servers.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.