DSL and Routers

Some time ago I had a Netgear RP614 wired router connected to the DSL modem, and everything worked fine. Later, I had a Belkin Wireless G router connected to the DSL modem, and everything worked fine. However, when I went back to have the Netgear RP614 connected to the DSL modem, the same Netgear wired router no longer worked with the DSL modem. Fortunately, the Belkin wireless router still worked with the DSL modem.

Recently, I obtained an Airlink101 AR504 wired router. It worked very well with the DSL modem. Surprisingly, when I replaced it with the Belkin wireless router, the latter no longer worked with the DSL modem.

In other words, now I have a working Airlink101 wired router but a non-working Netgear wired router and a non-working Belkin wirless router. What did I do wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Michael White
Loading thread data ...

It may be your ISP only allows one MAC address if you clone the MAC it may work. Just a guess though.

Reply to
Mr User

"Michael White" wrote in news:jjCsh.158$df3.138@trnddc04:

Had you....

1) Powered down rtr1 2) Power down the DSL modem 3) Disconnected rtr1 from modem 4) Connected rtr2 to modem 5) Powered up the modem, until it has a DSL link. 6) Powered up rtr2 ?

Typically, a cable modem or DSL modem needs to be re-booted when changing the attached rtr.

Reply to
DanS

Thanks for the advice. I've done all.

Reply to
Michael White

Reply to
Michael White

Reply to
annie.ramos

I agree with the previous suggestion - I had a similar problem with DSL a while ago

Get into router's set up utility, search the configurations or go to the help section for 'clone MAC address'. In effect, you tell your router to report itself as a the same as the unit you had working properly and just removed.

Generally, a DSL modem needs to associate with a specific network card, as part of the ISP's protocol for assigning IP numbers to specific accounts. If you move the network card (with or without a computer) to another DSL equipped location, it will still think it is you in the new locations. Similarly, if you put a new network card in your computer, it will think that is a different account until you 'tell' the ISP about that. References to 'network card' above apply equally to 'router'.

This is very diferent from a cable modem, which look after that for you.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Miller

Use your router config page to clone the MAC i.e. connect PC1 (your main PC) to router and access the HTML login and find the option to clone the MAC.

My ISP a cable provider now happily allows 2 MAC addresses while previously it would only allow one.

Reply to
Mr User

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 17:49:16 GMT, "Stuart Miller" wrote in :

Just the opposite with major ISPs in the USA. DSL ISPs (e.g., AT&T/SBC) generally use PPPoE, making the MAC address irrelevant. Cable ISPs (e.g., Comcast) generally use the MAC address when assigning a DHCP address, but that just means the cable modem needs to be cold power cycled when changing the attached device in order to pick up the new MAC address. Cloning of the MAC address isn't needed in either case. So be sure cloning is needed before doing it.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.