DSL - A modem is a modem is a modem, right?

And once upon a time the phrase "in the public interest" was actually respected by the FCC and once upon a time the ARRL and FCC both supported maintaining high standards of practice in the radio art and good conduct of licensees.

It saddens me also that the general public hasn't revolted over the imposition of DTV transition (which is just a spectrum grab scheme); evidently the twenty percent or so that rely on OTA TV are an inconsequential minority. Say goodbye to portable OTA TV, reliable TV while in motion and useful emergency services TV.

Michael

Reply to
msg
Loading thread data ...

Not that I know what the VPI/VCI is, but how do I change it? Somewhere in the path, I have covad as a provider, with Speakeasy essentially reselling the bandwidth, if that makes a difference.

Reply to
miso

Try Google for VPI VCI. 247,000 hits

I assume you still have your Telocity DSL modem/router. The config page is 10.0.0.1 or 10.0.0.5 or something similar. There should be a DSL configuration page, which includes the VPI/VCI settings. Note that the default config for the Telocity (DirectvDSL) device is a static IP on the WAN side. Don't assume that the default config will work.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Well yeah, I did the google first, saw the number of hits, and freaked.

Mine is just a modem, not a modem router. I don't have it at hand for obvious reasons. It is the model that had both ethernet and usb.

Reply to
miso

Just a FYI. Fry's has the Diamond dsl602e on sale. $44 in the store, plus there is a $15 rebate. The good or bad news is it uses the TI chipset, AR7 to be specific. I say bad because some claim there is a bug in the TI chipset, as shown here:

Reply to
miso

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.