Dropping connections

I have a home wireless infrastructure setup consisting of my desktop which is connected by a Linksys EtherFast 10/100 LAN card to a Linksys WAG 54G Wireless-G ADSL Gateway. This gateway's DSL router connects to my ISP with a DSL phone line. All is well with this part of the system. It is very stable and totally reliable 24/7.

I have a laptop which is using a Linksys Model WPC11 Wireless-B notebook adapter.

My wife has a desktop using a Linksys WMP54G PCI adapter.

The whole setup worked very well for a few months, but the past few weeks the laptop and my wife's desktop have been dropping the connection and can't bring it back up. I get the message, "You are connected to the access point, but the internet can not be found.

(Note-this is only with my laptop and my wife's desktop computers. My desktop computer remains connected with a very fast, stable connection)

The signal strength reads max at both of the problem computers, and when they are connected the setup works fine. If either computer is left unattended for a while the connection will be dropped and the only way I've found to bring it back alive is to re-boot.

I have tried disabling the 64 bit WEP encryption, but got no better results. I have looked for signs of any other wireless networks in the area, but have never found any indications.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? I am at the end of my tether with this set of problems.

Reply to
Gordon
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.