Dropped Connection with Netgear MR814 (Idle Timeout?)

The internet connection on my windows xp machine connected wirelessly to my netgear mr814 router drops off if the computer is left idle for a short amount of time, perhaps 20-30 mins and fails to re-establish itself. I must re-set the modem and router for it to re-establish itself.

Incidentally, i've discovered if i just run ping tests all day long say set the -n to 10 million or whatever, the connection stays on when am away from the computer, i guess the ping tests are keeping the router busy so it doesn't drop off, I'm not sure exactly what all of this means, but it is a minor annoyance.

Read some posts about adjusting the 'idle timeout' from default 5 to 0 mins in the router settings, but tried this and it hasn't fixed it, have contacted netgear but have not heard back from them yet on it. Router is using up to date firmware.

The wired machine can run all day on the wired router and be left idle for any length of time and still stay connected, it's only the one connected wirelessly this happens to. If i sit and work at the wireless machine constantly the connection seems ok for as long as I'm working but if i stand up for a while and come back it has often lost the connection, it is not due to signal strength of the router, that is fine.

Reply to
P.A.
Loading thread data ...

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 01:47:52 -0800 (PST), "P.A." wrote in :

Check for and turn off power management in the wireless adapter.

Reply to
John Navas

You don't mention what wireless card you're using. That's important.

It's likely the power management functions on the card are the problem. You can disable them and probably solve it, but in the process you'd lose the power management benefits. Some cards (their driver, really) can't do power management properly. The options are there but they just never seem to work right.

Try using ping -t some.ip.add.ress

And, well, yeah, if you're bumping pings across the link you're keeping it active. This points more to the power management idea.

It would seem unlikely that the router is at fault here.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Thanks for the replies, but i just checked in the device properties for the wireless card, and there is no 'power management' option for this particular card, i think this may be an option on the wireless-g cards mine is a wireless-b however, there was something about 'transmission rate' i changed it from automatic to 11 Mbps, I don't know if that will help, any other ideas??

Reply to
P.A.

YOU STILL DON'T SAY WHAT CARD YOU'RE USING.

If you're on a laptop and it doesn't present power management options then you probably need to either get new drivers or a new card entirely. Some cards just suck.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

It's a linksys wireless b on a custom desktop machine, yeah i'm looking into the drivers now, i had kinda thought it was the router because if it was the card why would i need to reset the router and modem in order to get it to work, shouldn't i just be able to reset the PC??

Reply to
P.A.

"I give up"

Reply to
Bill Kearney

"i just checked in the device properties for the wireless card, and there is no 'power management' option for this particular card, i think this may be an option on the wireless-g cards mine is a wireless-b however, there was something about 'transmission rate' i changed it from automatic to 11 Mbps,"

FWIW, the connection seems to be staying up since this setting was changed, could be coincidence, but crossing fingers this was the fix i was looking for

Reply to
P.A.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.