Dropped Connection

I can't seem to figure out why my connection will drop sometimes for 3 or 4 seconds then reconnect? What the hell is going on? It's annoying!

Reply to
rubbersoul
Loading thread data ...
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Sounds like interference. See the FAQ below.

Reply to
John Navas

Who knows? You need to provide considerably more info, such as what type of connection, what types of hardwware and OS, location of kit, other wireless gear nearby, other kit that might interfere with wireless, etc etc etc. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

I have the same problem. I just bought a Toshiba laptop with 802 something-or-other internally. I have a Belkin router. All the other computers in our house have no problem with dropped connections. I looked at the FAQ referenced above. I bet there's interference or something. This laptop of course has the latest wireless stuff, and my other computers have older stuff.

So I guess I should change the channel of my laptop's wireless configuration? How do I do that? Thanks!

Reply to
drbeckwith

It is possible that your wireless client is being interferred by neighboring wireless signal(s). Using your wireless client's configuration utility, set it to only allow you to access your wireless router/AP or set it to exclude any other wireless routers / APs.

Reply to
Doug Jamal
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

You can only do that at the wireless router/access point.

Reply to
John Navas

Hi - just change the channel on the Toshiba's wireless conguration utility.

There is more help here:

formatting link

Reply to
londonlinks

There is more help here on dropped connections:

formatting link

Reply to
londonlinks

There is more help here on troubleshooting dropped connections:

formatting link

Reply to
londonlinks

I can't find such an option. Are you referring to the "ConfigFree" utility?

Reply to
Dave Rudisill

drveckwith,

Couple things, do you have cordless phones in the house? Just for an experiment, get in a location where you can connect with your laptop, then make a phone call with your cordless phone. Your connectivity should drop after a minute or two. Also, since wireless signals gradually fall it's best to have your router as high in your house as possible. Just my 2 cents.

Reply to
Scuba jerm

There is no such client option, if you're in "infrastructure" mode, ie using a router. The option to change channels only exists on the router.

Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.