Dropout problem

supported so

downloaded from

Im assuming that this is the same PC in a dual boot setup. Do you have any power management running that would shut the adapter down after a few minutes of inactivity?

Reply to
Airhead
Loading thread data ...

couple

remove

(manually

cascade on

timeout

Sounds like your right. If its not busy it goes to sleep.

Reply to
Airhead

As a newbie to wireless stuff I'd be glad of suggestions here. I have a BY Voyager 2000 ADSL wireless modem at one end. At the other I've been using a USB dongle thingy under W98 without any problems at all, installed, hooked up and sits there for hours without a hitch.

I really want to use Linux on this pc, and the USB part isn't supported so I hit ebay and got a network card and a cheap ethernet connected Access Point. It's a Mercury KOB WL460C ver A1. I'm using drivers downloaded from the manufacturer's web site. A week of learning to drive it (and figuring that it needed a crossed CAT5 cable, not mentioned anywhere!) and I have it working as an Access Point client. It links to the Voyager fine, and delivers a solid connection.

It has one problem - if there's no activity for more than a couple of minutes, it drops the link and the only fix I've found is to remove and reconnect the power lead to it. If I set my email prog. to check every minute or two, the link holds up for hours but if I set the gap to 3 mins, it drops out every time, under both Win and Linux.

Any ideas please?

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Yes.

Not that I know of. The wireless bit is totally external and runs from a separate mains adaptor. When the link drops I don't have to reset the ethernet card in the computer, or renew any network settings (manually anyway), just turn the wireless link off and back on.

Both the ethernet card and wireless link are set to use DHCP with the modem as the server. Cycling the wireless part on and off will (I guess) force the address to be renewed but I don't know if that would cascade on and force a renewal on the ethernet card as well. On the other hand, if I connect the ethernet card to the modem with a cable, there's no timeout problem so I think it's probably something in the wireless box.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.