Dropbox uploading slow

Anyone else having slow speeds uploading files to Dropbox? For me, it's like having a 56 k modem. Even small files, 14 meg, take a long time. I'm supposed to have 1meg upload speed. I thought I'd check with someone before calling WISP.

Reply to
jasper smith
Loading thread data ...

How long is "a long time"? It is hard to help without data. Note that your 1 meg upload spped is 1 megaBITs per second, but your file is likely 14 megaBYTEs. So, in a perfect world, it would take almost

2 minutes. However, the world isn't perfect so assume up to double that time. So, if "a long time" is 4 minutes, nothing is wrong. Perhaps they were giving you much hogher before and just started limiting it to 1 meg. Again, it's hard to help without knowing the whole story.
Reply to
Pat

For a 14 meg file it's taken as long as ninety minutes. Bigger files take many hours to upload, even when the phone sits unused giving Dropbox all the time it needs to upload. It's the same way on two phones and a tablet. It's just Slowwwwww. obviously you don't use Dropbox or you would have either told me yours uploads fast, or it also uploads slow. Do you not remember how slow a 56 k modem was? 1 meg is supposed to be the highest upload speed for my internet data plan, although I'm supposed to be getting 8 meg download speed, and it never shows to be much more than 3 meg when I do a speed test.

Reply to
jasper smith

How are you measuring the upload speed? I tried writing in my Linux Dropbox folder, but I can't tell how fast it is. I used the web interface in Firefox to upload a 14 MB file, and it took about 14 seconds.

Speedtest.net says my upload speed is 5.83 Mbps.

Reply to
dold

There must be a problem with the app where it automatically uploads photos & videos, when they're taken. After using the browser to select and manually upload a video, a 23 meg video uploaded in three minutes.

Crap... using the app to automatically upload would be better if it wasn't so slowwwww.

I wish there was a way to speed up the app.

Thanks for your help. That was a good idea to use the browser to upload.

Reply to
jasper smith

I am sometimes surprised to find that a whole boatload of photos and videos have not already uploaded automatically as soon as I go look ;-) There is a "photos" tab in the menu in the app. I can see the progress there, and it might run faster once I look, which might make sense (lower priority in the background that in the foreground).

I also find that my WiFi camera sometimes goes to sleep, and doesn't upload anything, until I wake it up while connected to WiFi.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.