Double Post

I know I have been chastised for using Outlook Express by a few, but I have a problem and Im not sure if its me, my ISP, or everybody. But I have double postings of everything. If I repy it shows up twice, If you reply it shows up twice.... HELP ME!

Reply to
Airhead
Loading thread data ...

What version of Outlook Express are you using? Also, do you have MS Office loaded on your PC? If so , try setting up and using MS Outlook that came with MS Office and see if it duplicates the same problem.

Reply to
scout

resend

others

recall

trying

Jeff, I will try your suggestion and give up my evil ways.. So I guess nobody else is seeing double. Just me.

Reply to
Airhead

resend

others

recall

trying

By the way , I also have Xnews and it is double post, I dont use it much because I am a outlook flunky cheapo, but I checked it and it is the same. ??? Any ideas.

Reply to
Airhead

Ouchlook Depress treats newsgroups like email. If the outgoing SMTP or NNTP server stalls, times out, or fails to indicate that the message was properly received, Ouchlook Depress will attempt to resend over and over and over until it gets a proper acknowledgement. This is the cause of most duplicated usenet news (and email) messages. However, that applied only to your own messages. Messages from others should be just fine.

My guess(tm) is that you have a corrupted "data store .dbx" also known as a mailbox. There are numerous Outlook Express repair programs available on the internet. I can't tell from here if it will help, but it's worth a try.

However, the ultimate final solution is to abandon your evil ways and switch to Forte Agent 2.0. I've been using it for many years and find it a major improvement over other usenet news readers. I don't recall having any problems other than a really weird mess I created by trying to use it over an incredibly slow packet radio connection.

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

If Xnews shows double posts too, then it has nothing to do with Outlook Express and is a problem at his ISP's server.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Scales

What you should be looking for is the "Message-ID:" header. On my news spool, which goes back to last Sunday mid-day, I have 20 posts from you, with no dups. In this thread up until Saturday at noon GMT, there are a total of six posts. The message IDs are:

Message-ID:

Message-ID:

Message-ID:

Message-ID:

Message-ID:

Message-ID:

The messages with a 'news.cablerocket.com' string in the ID are yours. Message IDs are how the various servers around the world tell the difference between articles. They may be supplied by the news reader (as mine are) or they may be supplied (or overwritten) by the news server you are posting to.

Next time you see a duplicate, figure out how to find the message ID headers (don't ask me - I not only don't use Outhouse. I don't use windoze either) and see if they are the same.

You should also look for the 'Xref: ' header, which is how your news reader keeps track of articles. That header is set be the receiving news server (the one you download or read from), and is unique to your news server ALONE. People reading from other servers will have that header, but the numbers and perhaps even the format of the line will be different. For example, I'm reading on giganews, and the article I'm replying to has the header

Xref: number1.nntp.dca.giganews.com alt.internet.wireless:101485

If you see a dup, and it has the exact same 'XRef:' header in both copies, then it's your newsreader that is b0rked. If the dup has the same 'Message

-ID:' header but different 'XRef:' headers, it's your ISP. If both the 'Message-ID:' and 'XRef:' are different, then the problem is the sending newreader.

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.