Does VPN traffic stand out from other traffic to the ISP?

What does the ISP actually *see* when VPN is trafficking his network?

I realize he sees "gibberish", but, can he just look at that gibberish and say "that looks a lot like my subscriber is using VPN"?

Does VPN traffic stand out from other traffic?

Reply to
Cordell James
Loading thread data ...

interesting - just reading the thread....

Reply to
ps56k

Lusotec wrote in news:lc9l5p$1j0$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Oh yeah? I was told by another expert (self-appointed?) that VPN SSL/p443 traffic is indistinguishable from any other ssl traffic, for example, email.

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: snipped-for-privacy@netfront.net ---

Reply to
ohyeah

Nah. For example, email: you initiate a connection, send or receive a number of emails, and you close the connection, within moments. VPN: you initiate a connection, it stays open for a long time, and in that time you do things with different patterns to the traffic.

An analogy: let's say you have no knowledge of Japanese, and you're given recordings of 20 phone calls in Japanese. You wouldn't have to listen to many of them before you could work out what the word for 'hello' sounds like in Japanese.

Reply to
alexd

Sure, but would you ever figure out what the word for "pipe bomb" or "machine gun" was?

Reply to
Happynet Steering Society

Do you need to when your phone call metadata shows calls initiated to plumbing supply and fertilizer companies coming from an urban area?

Elijah

------ also port numbers are not encrypted and leak metadata

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

Herro!

Reply to
Cordell James

With enough metadata, they can probably obtain your secret key.

Reply to
Cordell James

Ha. The only time I used PGP regularly for email it was to email a friend who live about 10 blocks away who refused to accept email that wasn't encrypted. This was years ago too, when the US govt was trying to pretend that PGP wasn't legal. Our emails went something like "so, Bob, you wanna meet at Toe Blake's for lunch?" and he'd encrypt back "sure, Wilbur, how about 1:30" and I was like "cool, see you then." And the NSA can keep those encrypted emails until they eventually decrypt them so that they can study the tavern habits of two old hippies are probably dead or demented by then.

Reply to
Wilbur Eleven

Really liked this quote so I googled it and read the letter. Bukowski sounds like quite a character. I'm not much for poetry but perhaps I'll check out some of his short stories.

Sorry if you got an earlier e-mail response. Screwed up and hit the wrong thing. Why Thunderbird moved to a reply, followup choice beats me. I think it probably went to a non-existent address though.

Reply to
M. John Matlaw

Oh yes my dear, email to Wilbur goes into a deep dark hole. Thanks for the thought though!

Reply to
Wilbur Eleven

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.