Does the Verizon DSL modem-router have wired ports (in addition to the wireless router)?

none.. they are all caca, and most do *NOT* do wired.....

note this....(buried in the description paragraph) However, the current Actiontec GT 701 DSL Gateway has only one Ethernet port and only one USB port for one computer.

love the weasel word "however".... lie your brains out/make outlandish absurd claims, and then negate whatever you say by using the weasel word "however"

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

Judy:

You may be interested in this thread:

formatting link
on the DSLReports site. The "regulars there are quite knowledgeable on technical matters and if you post your question there I'm sure you will get good advice.

John

P.S. IMHO the easy way out for you is to accept he modem from Verizon and if it lacks the wired ports you want just buy an "Unmanaged Switch" that will, effectivly, give you the same results. HTH & GL

Reply to
John Dulak

The one you described below does wired, according to you.

No big deal, a switch is relatively cheap.

I'm not sure what you're objecting to. I don't see any lies or outlandish claims.

Reply to
Char Jackson

from your own typing above..... has only one Ethernet port and only one USB port for one computer.

note the *ONE* computer? thats how you configure it, it's not a typical "port" that hooks to a router/switch and works with other stuff, it's just a way for a program/browser on one computer to configure the device itself using a usb or ethernet connection, it doesn't do anything else, but lets you plug one computer into the cat5/usb connection/"port"...

if you understand that routers and/or switches need a "port" that actually works like an ethernet/usb "port" rather than using the term "port" in a non-accepted/non standard way to only allow connection of the device to something else (technically that true, but not what most people think it actually is...)

from your typing above, you seem to imply that you can hook a router switch to that connection, and have it work as expected, you CAN'T

Reply to
Peter Pan

Yes you will have wired ports... if they supply one it's not worth buying your own unless you want to upgrade to let's say wireless N which provides faster access. I use the Belkin and love the speed. I clock mostly close to 300kbps and also gigabit access through the ports.

Reply to
Raoul Watson

Yes, I saw that and accepted it.

Yes, that's how you configure it, but it's also the primary way of connecting a computer to access the Internet.

Of course it's a typical port that hooks to a router, switch, or directly to a single PC. What did you think it was?

Completely untrue. See above.

It seems to me to be a perfectly valid configuration. I'm guessing you were confused by the fact that it has no Ethernet port for the WAN connection, but it doesn't need one because it connects to a phone jack. It's a DSL modem, not a cable modem.

Yes, you can.

I think you're confused. A DSL modem connects to a phone jack on its WAN side, so a single Ethernet port on the LAN side is a perfectly acceptable and valid configuration.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Amen....

Reply to
Chris S.

When you post a one-word reply, please at least have the courtesy to trim the quote down to the relevant portion. Thanks.

Reply to
John Navas

Well, the modem/wireless router from Verizon arrived w/o me being able to refuse it. It was waiting for me when I got home from work today.

The Verizon sales person lied. It has FOUR wired ports, One input port, one USB port, and one power plug. It's an Actiontec GT704WG.

Weird that it has a WEP key on the sticker on the bottom (what would THAT be for?). I plan on using WPA2-PSK but I didn't even ask if it handles that encryption level.

Any idea if paying 60 or so for this router is worth it; and what's the WEP key on the bottom for?

Reply to
Judy Zappacosta

Check the user comments at Amazon, where it sells for $40...

formatting link
Charlie Hoffpauir

Everything is what it is because it got that way....D'Arcy Thompson

Reply to
Charlie Hoffpauir

If it's like the 2Wire DSL modems that are popular around here, it's simply a pre-configured default. In other words, the DSL modem comes configured to use WEP, and that's the currently configured key. Feel free to change the encryption type, (it looks like some of the better standards are supported), and of course you can also change the key at the same time.

Reply to
Char Jackson

You can buy a Actiontec GT704WG on Ebay with "Buy It Now" for $32.00 total ($25.00 plus $7.00 shipping). You could probably get one cheaper by bidding on them.

Reply to
terrable

Judy Zappacosta wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@tioat.net:

WEP is enabled by default for the router. You will need the WEP key to get wireless access to the router.

You can change to a better wireless encryption standard by logging into the router's configuration page.

Reply to
Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.