Does the Verizon DSL modem-router have wired ports (in addition to the wireless router)?

Does the Verizon wireless DSL modem allow wired connections (like a regular wireless router does)?

Verizon wants me to buy a wireless modem/router with my DSL subscription.

Most wireless routers have both wireless and (generally 4) wired ports.

I asked the Verizon rep who said she never got the question before; she checked (she said), and came back with "the Verizon modem router is only wireless".

OK. I understand her; but I don't believe her. Mainly because I've never seen a wireless router that didn't have wired ports.

But, maybe they "broke" their modem/router so that it doesn't have wired ports.

If you have a Verizon DSL modem/router, can you report back whether it has any additional wired ports?

Reply to
Judy Zappacosta
Loading thread data ...

There are many different wireless routers. I've never seen one without at least one wired port - for configuration purposes if nothing else. You may need to connect to it via ethernet to reconfigure it. Get the MAKE and MODEL number of the router they are trying to sell you and then google for info on that particular router.

jc

Reply to
JC Dill

Depends on what product you get. If the Westell 327W, see

Reply to
John Navas

There are a number of gateway devices which have wireless and one ethernet port - so if you need multiple ethernets, you need a switch.

Reply to
Mike Easter

"Judy Zappacosta" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@tioat.net...

The Westell 327W DSL modem is a 4 port hardwired router with wireless.

If Verizon is making you buy a DSL modem then just buy one on Ebay. There is a glut of Westell 327W DSL modems so you can buy one for less than $20.

If you don't like Westell DSL modems, then look for an ActionTec.

Reply to
terrable

Wrong group. You should post to alt.online-service.verizon, not alt.cellular.verizon.

Reply to
D. Stussy

The most appropriate group is arguably comp.dcom.adsl, but alt.internet.wireless is certainly a reasonable choice.

Reply to
John Navas

I would agree

Reply to
Rick

Pay attention. I was only noting the inappropriateness of ONE of the cross-posted groups.

Reply to
D. Stussy

Chill out. Be more tolerant, more polite and clear in what you write.

Reply to
John Navas

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, John Navas chose the tried and tested strategy of:

I can only assume you don't own a mirror.

Reply to
alexd

No kidding.

Reply to
News

You know what happens when you ass/u/me.

Reply to
Topo Gigio

Yes. Verizon is making me buy a "modem", either a wired one for about $35 (IIRC) or a modem with a wireless router for about $15 more ... so I went with the modem with wireless router.

I didn't think to ask if it was mandatory that I get the modem from them.

Can someone concur whether it's mandatory that I buy the modem (in this case, a modem plus wireless router) from them?

Reply to
Judy Zappacosta

(Fixed the newsgroups to the recommended list.)

I didn't realize that we didn't have to buy the DSL modem from Verizon and pay their setup fees. I never had DSL before because I was always more than

18,200 feet from their central office but now I moved to just over 13,000 feet so they said I was within range.

As suggested, I called them today at 877-896-3389 to ask the BRAND of modem/router but they only have the automated system available on Sunday, which told me the modem/wireless router already shipped, so I'll know soon enough if it has 4 wired ports or just one or even none as the saleslady told me (which I just can't believe).

I will call Verizon DSL tomorrow but can you give me some ammo. Can I refuse the modem/wireless router they send me and just buy my own?

Reply to
Judy Zappacosta

Judy Zappacosta wrote: Newsgroups: alt.internet.wireless, alt.cellular.verizon

You shouldn't be crossposting your message into verizon cellular. Cellular means verizon's cellphone service, not residential broadband internet connectivity.

Verizon has all kinds of plans. Any modem you use has to be compatible with the DSL connectivity provider. I expect having a Verizon DSL doesn't require that you buy their modem, but that you have a compatible one.

The other variable in the installation process is how installation will be accomplished, as a do-it-yourself or as a tech install.

A typical package for the neophyte would be to have a tech install and the tech brings the modem and you get all the bills.

A typical install for someone else would be they have their own modem and they do their own install and they save some money.

I doubt if it is mandatory, but you might have less options if you are having the tech install.

Reply to
Mike Easter

No, it is not mandatory that you buy your DSL modem from Verizon. Just tell them that you will supply your own Verizon DSL modem.

Reply to
terrable

It's not. Best Buy, for example, sells DSL modems that are compatible with Verizon's network.

It's not mandatory.

Reply to
Steve Sobol

Judy Zappacosta wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@tioat.net:

I wouldn't just refuse the shipment. When you get the modem, check the brand and model number. Then look it up on the internet. Specificly, the manufacturer's web site. Hint: there are several types of DSL modems. Make note of what type Verizon sends you. Then, if you want to go out and get your own,you know what type to get. Then get an RMA from Verizon to return the one they sent you.

Reply to
Gordon

I called Verizon just now. It's not mandatory as you said. They said it was an "ActionTec Gateway" but they didn't have any further information on it (like the model number).

Googling, I see the following models:

- Actiontec EN DSL

- Actiontec Wireless DSL Gateway GT701WG

- Actiontec Wireless Gateway Router 802MR-W etc.

It's already shipped, they said. They said if I want to buy my own, I can refuse the UPS guy but then I won't know what one to get.

Do all work (I think someone said I have to get the right one for Verizon).

WHICH ActionTec Gateway you recommend?

Reply to
Judy Zappacosta

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.