does encryption cause intermittent connection?

I haven't used routers with built in WiFi, but at one site I'm using a netgear access point with WEP encryption and at another site a linksys access point using WPA encryption. No porblems.

An intermittent connection probably has some other cause -- weak signal, etc.

Reply to
Jerry Park
Loading thread data ...

Hi all: I have two Netgear MR814 V1 and one USRobotics URS8054. The two Netgear routers never worked well with encryption. The connections between the router and the laptop keeps going on and off, and is so frustrating. if i turn encryption off, it works fine. The USRobotics used to work well with encryption, but one day, it started doing the same thing as with the Netgear (intermittent connection). so i removed the encryption and now it works well.

The question is: is this a common problem with most routers? Is there anything i can do to fix this problem?

If i can't fix the problem, is there any risk of using online banking or providing credit card information over an unencrypted wireless connection (even though the page accessed is https)? the only security measure takes in limiting access by mac address (is this better than nothing?)

thanks for any help. hilz

Reply to
hilz

When you say "encryption", do you mean WEP64, WEP128, WPA, or something else? I've had problems with WPA in certain circumstances that go away when reverting to WEP128.

The HTTPS will secure your data, but you really need to encrypt the link.

Yes, it's better than nothing, but not a lot. Update the firmware on your router, change the channel, turn off interfering devices, etc...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

If your client computahs are running Windoze XP, please turn OFF the

802.1x authentication and the disconnects should cease.

SSL browser security isn't the greatest, but it's generally good enough to prevent sniffing. However, all your other traffic will be sniffable without encryption, leaving you open to identity theft, password sniffing, and general havoc on your LAN. MAC security is incredibly easy to circumvent is only useful to prevent "accidental" connections for random client radios. I would make the effort to fix WEP.

Incidentally, I have two MR814v1 routers at various customers running WEP 128 without incident.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.