Does a Rocket M2 dish fit for a Rocket M5 radio?

I'm getting lousy speeds lately because everyone around me has a Rocket M2 on the same AP that I'm on (we're all unthrottled).

The Rocket M5 that one neighbor has, is getting twice the bandwidth because the 5GHz AP is hardly used.

If I buy a Rocket M5 radio, is it plugin-compatible with the M2 in the Rocket M2 dish configuration?

Reply to
Alphonse Arnaud
Loading thread data ...

Where are you finding these names?

The surest sign of success if over-crowding, pollution, congestion, traffic jams, etc. WISP over Wi-Fi is successful.

Yep. We'll see how long that lasts.

The hardware is plug compatible. However, the 2.4GHz dish will NOT work on 5.7GHz. You'll need either a new RD-5G30 dish or one of the

5Ghz Ubiquiti radios that has a build in panel/patch antenna. Note that the beamwidth of a 5GHz dish of similar size to your existing 2.4GHz barbeque grill dish is somewhat narrower (5 deg). Aiming the dish from the top of your 30ft pipe mount is going to be tricky.

Diversion: The local radio club had a pair of Cisco AP1200 series wireless bridge radios with 24dBi barbeque grill dish antennas on a

1.5 mile link (to where we could get cheap DSL). Unfortunately, the local PAMF hospital was along the line of sight. 2.4GHz was totally useless. With the dish antenna, I could see 15+ access points in the hospital and about a dozen more in the yacht harbor further along the same line of sight. We switched to a pair of Ubiquiti 5Ghz Linkstation Nano radios and have lived happily ever after for the last 3 years.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann wrote, on Fri, 12 Sep 2014 16:03:21 -0700:

:)

Step 0. Select arbitrary nationality. Step 1. Google "most common surnames". Step 2. Google "most common given names".

You should meet us at our weekly Wednesday "inventors lunch", up in Redwood City, at noon some day. The guys would love you, and you, they.

Drat. I was afraid of that.

I'm gonna borrow a tripod and Rocket setup from a neighbor and see if I can get the speeds he's getting (30Mbps symmetric).

If so, I'm gonna get a new RD5G30 and Rocket M2 to add to my collection of the Bullet (my first), the NanoBridge (my 2nd), and the Rocket M2 (my current rooftop radio).

You remember far too much.

That pipe mount was for Hilltop WISP, and is still pointed at Loren's antenna's on the next ridge over, but the POE to its Bullet M2 attached to a 14dBi planar antenna isn't plugged in anymore because Ridge W/L has been very reliable, but their AP uses the dual polarization that the Nanobridge and Rocket M2 have on AirOS.

Diversion: Surfnet was the pits. While I'm relatively new to WISP, compared to you, I know enough now that my first WISP, Surfnet, is the pits. How such arrogance can survive in today's business world is beyond me.

I am still learning, but I *love* the Ubiquiti equipment!

Reply to
Alphonse Arnaud

Oh. I thought you were using a program:

Thanks, but no more geek fests for me. I'm saturated with too much technology and need to dry out.

That's how progress works. Everything you own is obsolete, everything you know is wrong, and old technology rapidly depreciates in value.

Good idea. I think Ridge supports MIMO on 5GHz. If not, a Rocket M5 would be overkill and a Bullet M5 will be a cheaper alternative. There's also a somewhat cheaper barbeque grill style antenna for the Bullet M5 (AirGrid AG-5G23-HP): However, the Rocket M5 and solid 5GHz dishes are generally better. If you have a good strong signal and clear path, one of the radios with an integrated antenna might also work, such as one of the Loco series.

Note that if you can connect at the fastest possible rate, the amount of air time that your connection will require to move a given amount of data is less. With wireless, it's the air time that's shared among all the users. Since the radio system can only service one client radio at a time, less air time used means more users or more data can be moved. One user, running at the slowest possible speed, will slow everyone else down.

There are those that worship in the temple of old technology, but I don't think your collection is old enough yet for a tax deductible contribution: Hang onto the collection for a few decades and it might then be suitable for donation.

I've tried to forget, but they keep coming back in my dreams and nightmares. I only remember the strange, odd, disgusting, and abominable. Your antenna structure qualifies for all of these. Your inside wiring is a close second. I would have expected the pipe mount to have failed in the rain and wind, but I guess it was saved by global warming and the lack of rain.

OK. Got it. Please let me know when it changes again.

Yep. Good stuff.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann wrote, on Sat, 13 Sep 2014 08:42:52 -0700:

Yes. Ridge Wireless is on MIMO. They also just bought and sat out the waiting period for a 300 Mbps full-duplex link backhaul from Cupertino to the mountains and then an AirFiber 24 link into the hills aimed at us.

Ever since our nanobridge fiascos, we've come to love the rockets!

It was an amazingly simple mount, what with a toilet bowl bottom pipe holding it into the old satellite dish cut-off mount. :) (KISS).

Since then, I've helped install perhaps a dozen antennas, on roofs, decks, trees, you name it. Wherever we can get a signal, we put the antenna. It's a neighborhood project, that everyone pitches in on.

Reply to
Alphonse Arnaud

If that's how you like to do your installs, then this thread may provide you with some inspiration:

formatting link

Reply to
alexd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.