Do you need 108?

You're not alone.

formatting link
this is what you buy, make sure you get version 2. The original version was a loser.

8Mbits/sec? Where's this?

Wireless hardware is NOT an investment. Everything you can buy today will obsolete within a few years. That's not to say it won't be useable or functional, but simply that advances in protocols, security, acronyms, and features will make todays hardware somewhat neanderthal. For example, improvements in 802.11i security will probably require new hardware. 802.16 could replace everything. MIMO (802.11n) technology could offer spectacular performance and reliability improvements. Figure on a 2-3 year useful lifetime.

108Mbits/sec is a proprietary kludge designed to squeeze more performance out of 802.11g under ideal conditions. There are various methods and chipsets, none of which are controlled by a standards organization. You'll never see 108Mbits/sec thruput. Typicial is less than half the connection speed. Thuput also varies with the type of traffic. UDP streaming goes faster than TCP which requires acknowledgements. Range is an issue as the radios will drop in connection speed in an attempt to keep the error rate low. That will cause a drop in thruput.

If you have a good strong signal, 802.11g will connect at 54Mbits/sec and deliver 20-27Mbits/sec. That should be sufficient for anything that you're doing. If your signal is less than spectacular, the connection speed will be reduced along with the thruput. My guess(tm) is that 802.11g will drop to about 25Mbits/sec connection, for a thruput of about 8-10Mbits/sec, which should be adequate.

There's quite a bit on the topic of speed vs performance on:

formatting link
the "NeedtoKnows" section. It's a bit clumsy reading with all the advertising and 15 part articles, but the content is worth the effort.

Chart of 108 and 54 802.11g performance vs range via a "walk test". Note that thruput drops rapidly with distance, not matter what technology is used, and that while 108 offers an initial speed advantage, the performance drops rapidly to where it is the same as 54

802.11g.
formatting link
dip in the middle was at 300ft, where performance was about 2Mbits/sec thruput. Extrapolating against the time scale, my guess is that greater than 8Mbits/sec thruput will work to about 100ft.

It's gonna be interesting to see how 8Mbits/sec works with the default TCP/IP RWIN (receive window) of 64KBytes. In theory, your maximum latency (ping time) is: Window Size / speed = latency 512Kbits / 8000Kbits/sec = 64 msec If the latency greater than 64 msec, then the web server will stop and wait for your TCP ack's to arrive before sending any more data. That will slow things down. Windoze 2K and XP support largerer window sizes but not all web servers do. You might wanna run a test:

formatting link
see where you stand when you get it running.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

If your strictly surfing the web and downloading files etc then an 11mbs wireless router would do the trick. If you are doing pc to pc file transfers and sending video and audio to other components in the house then the more speed the better.

108mbs = faster than 54mbs 54mbs = faster than 11 mbs Current ISP speed = 2 mbs Future ISP speed = 8mbs

Actual throughput is about half the rate speed so at 11mbs you actually get about 5.5 to 6 mbs and the same scenario with 54 and 108. The thing about

108 is that I think it uses 2 of the 3 nonoverlapping channels so if someone elses AP is interfering with your network, you dont have many channel options.

If I were you I would go with an 802.11g 54mbs which should give you plenty for both file sharing and web surfing.

Reply to
Airhead

Hi group,

I get confused with the different numbers concerning network and broadband throughput, and what they actually mean in real performance. You know the bits and Bytes and how much gets lost or slowed down in the firewall / router etc.

I am supposed to help a friend this coming tuesday set up a wireless network in his house. Since I have recently seen speeds listed up to 108 whatever, I told him that that is what we should shop for. Now however I can not find any router of that capacity that also has a print server, whichis a must.

His broadband currently gives 2 Mbs but will likely soon be upgraded to 8. Obviously we would not want to invest in gear that will become a bottleneck in the near future.

What wifi speed corresponds to 8 Mbps? Is that 8 out of the 108? In that case 54 will be plenty for a long time.

Lars Stockholm

Reply to
lars

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.