do i throw away the wired modem/router?

Hi I seem to be getting mixed advice from shops when I ask what equipment I need for the following situation. I have a friend who browses the internet from her laptop wired up to a BT Voyager 220v router modem (for business use and would seem a waste to discard) which is designed to attach at least another computer via an ethernet cable. She is very happy with the situation!

However her husband with the computer upstairs, and quite a long way away, is still using dial up and is not happy! His computer is new with a 10/100 network card. What equipment should I purchase to connect him with the minimum of disruption to broadband. I know a cable is the simplest but wife says that is out of the question. So is an wireless access point what I need but have been told that is very tricky to set up! I suppose I am just looking for the simplest way to connect the computer upstairs withe the router downstairs without putting in a cable!

Hope someone can advise.

Thanks Lizzie

Reply to
lizzieb
Loading thread data ...

I've set up a couple of WAP, very easy. I prefer to have the WAP as a standalone box, it allows me to locate it in the optimum place in the house to get the best coverage.

Reply to
Steve Pearce
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

If wireless freedom isn't needed, powerline networking may be the best solution; e.g., D-Link DHP-100 Ethernet-to-Powerline Bridge at each end.

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks for your advice. I have just found out about these

formatting link
and they seem to be similar to the ones you recommended! They sound ideal. Thanks Liz

Reply to
lizzieb

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.