do all modems need a sim card?

Do all modems for wireless internet need a sim card?

If so can you copy a sim card you already have and use that?

What I wish to do is to be able to connect to the net wirelessly while I am out and about. I have an account with BP but the modem is a bit big to carry around so want to use a different modem while I am away from home, but on the same account (no way I could afford two accounts)

But I really do not want to have take the sim card out of my home modem each time I go out - hence the need for a second sim, unless I can find a modem (with WiFi) that doesn't need a sim

Any ideas most welcome

David

Reply to
David
Loading thread data ...

There are but it won't help you. At least here in the US both Verizon and Sprint are CDMA. No SIMs are used and each device has an ESN burned in. You need an account for each device.

Why not get the smaller modem and retire the big one?

Reply to
George

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 06:30:51 GMT, David wrote in :

No. Some do (GSM/EDGE/UMTS); some don't (CDMA2000).

No.

I connect my computer over Bluetooth to my 3G phone to the Internet. No wires, very convenient, quite fast in good coverage areas.

Reply to
John Navas

Because I live in a rural area (in NSW Australia) and the closest tower is about 15km away. In Oz we abandoned CDMA a few years ago and now there is only the old digital (but not where I live) and 3G.

A good idea if I was in an area with good signal strength, and there were smaller modems with WiFi available - but I haven't been able to find one. In the US you guys have great little portable WiFi units but they do not work here (according to their mgs)

But thanks for your reply

David

Reply to
David

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 22:48:41 GMT, David wrote in :

Most all USA Wi-Fi units should work fine in Australia.

formatting link

Reply to
John Navas

formatting link
add an external and there is an interface for a suitable Au phone sim ask here
formatting link

Reply to
atec 7 7

Perhaps he means the compact model he'd like to use isn't GSM.

Reply to
alexd

I had a look at that site but am not sure what it all meant. The problem as advised to me by 2 mfg of those portable WiFi units was the Australian NextG USB wireless modem wouldn't suit their unit

Was that what those tables were about?

David - appreciative of the reply

Reply to
David

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 01:59:09 GMT, David wrote in :

Those tables are the Wi-Fi channels, and show that Australia and the USA have most of the Wi-Fi channels in common.

Reply to
John Navas

"David" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.bigpond.com...

have you considered something like a mobile router that works with both/either cdma and/or gsm, takes data cards, tethers to some cell phones, may use certain usb modems, and can be purchased online and shipped to you? (essentialy what you have seen but NOT battery operated) Kyocera KR-2 Mobile Router

formatting link
fraid you'll have to check the specs to see if it will work with your unamed phone/carrier/etc....

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.