dlink wireless networking issues

ADSL MODEM is a bridge

#1 Router that *should* nat 192.168.0.something. I don't remember the DLink defaults, but it could be something like 192.168.0.227 as its addy. ( The dlink uses the IP you get from your ISP for its IP with another for the gateway at the ISP -> x.x.x.1 usually.

Is this setup as a BRIDGE?

#2 Router should get an IP, netmask, gateway, and dns from the #1 router. You can verify this in the menu setup.

Your computer should get a different network from #2 router. If it doesn't you won't get out. You may have to manually set the routers LOCAL IP to something different than the local network of #1 Router ( use 192.168.100.something. Your computer's gateway addy should point to the IP address of #2 Router with the proper netmask.

Why do you have #2 router by the way? If you are only connecting ONE computer, you don't need #2. If you have multiple computers attached to #2, disregard that unless the bridge is capable of dealing with multiple MAC on the local side. Then you would get the IP addy from #1 router.

Usually a DSL modem is a bridge. Are you sure that it isn't a Bridge/Router combo? In this neck of the woods, verizone ships Routers ( most of the time ), and usually they work out of the box with no user intervention.

If you can only bride ONE MAC, you do need the router portion; use DHCP as it works. In this case, you need to make sure that both routers are not NAT'n the same networks. This setup *should* work as long as everybody is pointing to the correct upsteam addys. I am not totally familiar with these specific DLinks, so grant me some leeway. For instance, lets assume that you ISP's gateway is 102.81.100.1/24 then:

dsl modem bridges #1 router dhcp wan address from ISP

#1 router wan ip -> 102.81.100.152 with 102.81.100.1 as the gw #1 router lan ip -> 192.168.0.227/24 #1 router dhcp could be 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.11 #1 router gets dns from ISP and could be 102.81.100.2

DLINK 2000AP bridges #2 dhcp wan address ( from #1 router.

#2 router wan ip is 192.168.0.11 with 192.168.0.227 as the gw #2 router lan ip is 192.168.100.227/24 #2 router dhcp could be 192.168.100.1 to 192.168.100.11 #2 router gets dns from #1 router -> 192.168.0.227

Computer gets dhcp addy from #2 -> say 192.168.100.11 along with

192.168.100.227 as the gateway and 192.168.100.227 as dns.

You should be able to ping both sides of each router, along with the ISP gateway ( and the rest of the Internet ) with this setup. Confused? Using non-routable addys gives you lots of leeway as you don't have to break up a class C into subnets. Routing is pretty easy as long as you follow some simple rules.

1. each network must be unique
  2. each network has a default gateway
  3. you can't reuse a network later down the line.

todh

Reply to
OldGuy
Loading thread data ...

Firstly, this is how my setup works:-

ADSL MODEM to DLINK wireless router di-624 rev c to External Aerial to External aerial to DLINK access point 2000ap+ in client mode to DLINK wireless router di-624 rev b to My computer finally.

The problem is my computer can see all the devices, log on into their html settings pages, including the ADSL modem, but i cannot gain access to the internet.

The 2nd wireless router (rev B) has dhcp disabled, thus leaving my computer to log on with a static IP set in TCP/IP in windows xp.

How can i gain access to the net?? Please help me,

Thankfully

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Turrell

Is MAC address filtering enabled and possibly keeping your computer from having access? Would placing the AP in bridge mode be better?

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Ok so you need that #2 router

If you can 'see' the #1 router and the modem, the network looks like it is working, but not quite configured correctly.

Are you setup as below -> maybe different numbers than mine?

Reply to
OldGuy

I need more than the 1 computer connected to router 2, a laptop and pocket pc.

Would it help if i moved the access point over in building 2 so a ethernet cable is fed to that from router 1, so the external aerial connects straight to the back of that?? then to router 2????

Reply to
Stuart Turrell

what's the model number of your dlink 2000 ? dwl-2000AP+ ?? and is it plugged into a LAN port on that di624b

Reply to
bumtracks

yes its the dwl-2000AP+ and yes, plugged into lan port 1 on the router B.

Reply to
Stuart Turrell

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.