DLink G650 won't hand shake

Hi guys, here's my problem that I hope someone can help with.

I've got a D-Link DWL-G650+ on my laptop. My daughter has a G650 (the older one) on hers, but without any problems. My card will see my wireless modem/network, but will not connect to it. It is WEP secured and I've put the code in.

I can see the network, I've changed all the settings to the same as my daughters (we both run Win XP SP2), but hers works and mine doesn't. I've tried her card on my machine, but it still doesn't work. I believe that I've missed a switch/flag somewhere on my machine that is preventing me from connecting. My son can use the printer connected to my machine, but I can't see the one on his machine. He can access my shared files, but I can't read his.

Is there a flag that allows this type of configuration?

Please help, I want to move my laptop without having to run lengths of cable around the house.

Gaz

Reply to
Gaz Pike
Loading thread data ...

Check the firewall settings. If setting is available, place all networked computers in the trusted zone. Also, are you able to connect without enabling encryption? Verify that the IP address of your pc is within its assigned range.

Reply to
DougJamalAT

Thanks Doug, but I'm still getting nowhere. When the PC boots up it says it can't connect to the wireless network, so it knows it there. I've reduced my Norton firewall down to low and the IP address (range) you mentioned adding in is already in the Trusted section of Networking on the Personal Firewall.

I don't think I can use the network without encryption, as it came with it.

How do I check the IP of my machine?

Thanks Gaz

Reply to
Gaz Pike

windows ? run/cmd/ ipconfig /all

Reply to
atec

I said it was fired and held out a P45. Maybe that's where I went wrong.

Gaz

Reply to
Gaz Pike

What will that tell me? BTW, I'm on XP sp2 Home Ed

Gaz

Reply to
Gaz Pike

First of all, make sure Windows XP SP-2's firewall isn't enabled. If your computer came with SP-2 installed or if you updated your system with the SP-2 update, more than likely, the Windows firewall is enabled. Many times, its firewall clashes with a third party firewall like Norton, Sygate, Zonealarm, etc. As for the IPCONFIG/ALL command, it will show you your current IP address, the subnet and the gateway's IP address. For example:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\\Documents and Settings\\Doug>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : PERSONALPC Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : cfl.rr.com

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : cfl.rr.com Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR 108 Mbps Wireless PC Card WG

511T Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-07-B5-83-19-49 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.3 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 1192.168.0.1 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, May 09, 2005 5:52:32 PM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, May 16, 2005 5:52:32 PM

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Description . . . . . . . . . . . : National Semiconductor DP83815-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0A-BG-37-8D-FF

C:\\Documents and Settings\\Doug>

Anyway, unless you're getting a bogus/private IP address like 269.154.x.x, you should be able to connect to your wireless AP especially if encryption is disabled. Once you're connected, and are able to surf the internet and/or share your files and printers, then go ahead and enable encryption. My guess is that the Windows Firewall is enabled. Go to the Control Panel and click on Windows Firewall, then disable it. Reboot and try to connect.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Have you tried offering it a better deal?

Barry ===== Home page

formatting link

Reply to
Barry OGrady

Thanks D, but my Windows Firewall is disabled, although I do have Norton Internet Security up. I have entered my network as an exception, although it doesn't seem to be allowing me to get out. I can access the internet through an RJ45 plugged into my machine, but as it's a laptop I'd like to be able to leave the desk it's sitting on.

Any further thoughts?

I don't believe I can remove the encryption on my network as it came like that from Wanadoo (does that ring any alarm bells?).

Gaz

Reply to
Gaz Pike
8>

I find it difficult to believe that your modem/router was supplied with encryption enabled.As you own the network you should have control over your security and not your ISP. What model of modem/router are you using? Have you tried your Laptop without encryption?

Reply to
NBT

8>
Reply to
NBT

The unit is made by Inventel, the unit is called a Wanadoo F243. It has the WEP code written on it. Do you think I can remove the encryption? If so, what benefits will this bring? It works perfectly well with my daughter's machine using a similar Cardbus and also on XP.

I haven't tried it without encryption as I have assumed it won't work, although it's not working with it.

I'll try to run the card without encryption shortly, although I'm holding any hopes.

I still believe I have a flag somewhere I don't know about or a setting I need to change on XP, but I really can't find it.

Gaz

Reply to
Gaz Pike

8>
Reply to
NBT

Oh yes, I've done all the easy routes, which is why I believe it's something like a firewall lock out, but I can't prove it or know how to prove it.

When you run their installation program it asks for you to install the wireless thingy (whatever they call it), but because mine doesn't plug into the USB port it never finds it. My daughter's machine connected once I set up the WEP code and removed the IEEE flag, but mine doesn't

Gaz

Reply to
Gaz Pike

Thanks, I'm printing it off now and I'll give it a go. I phoned Wanadoo, but I got the answer, "It's not our hardware, so it's not our problem" type of catch all answer when they don't know.

Gaz

Reply to
Gaz Pike

I want to have your babies. That's been bugging, on and off, for about 2 months now, but finally, it's working.

Gaz the very happy bunny.

Reply to
Gaz Pike

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.