Dlink and syslog

I should have x-posted this, I guess; I've asked it in comp.sys.mac.comm as well.

If I turn on the syslog feature in my Dlink DLG 4300, where does it want to store its stuff? I can't find the answer in the manuals or the in-router help files.

I read on one forum that Dlinks wanted to store logs in user.*, so I set that up in my syslog.conf, and there's some interesting stuff there, but nothing from the router.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Reply to
Warren Oates
Loading thread data ...

syslog sends to a syslog server - you should have been asked to specify the IP address of that. If you have a linux box, it has syslogd built in. man syslogd will give you info. If you have windows you can download kiwi syslog daemon.

Sounds like you /do/ have a linux box. Did you open the syslog ports on the firewalls?

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Your router's syslog is supported by Wallwatcher (free). You should use it to view the log in real time and also you can review previous logs as well.

formatting link
Based on my knowledge of using a router and now a FW appliance, the syslog is broadcasted on a port the router uses. The syslog can be broadcasted to all machines connected to the router or you can specify a particular LAN IP/machine that would have something like Wallwatcher listening on the required port. Wallwatcher knows what port to listen on, which you'll see the port, when you configure WW for your D-link

If you have a personal FW running on the machine that WW is running on, then you need to open the inbound port on the FW to the router's Device IP.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Actually, it's OS X (I should have mentioned). Thanks for the reply, I'll look into it, although, the only firewall I'm running is the one built into the router, which I assumed would open its port for me when I enabled sylog.

I've got Windows running in a VM as well, I might look into that WallWatcher thing too. I also see some shareware OS X apps too:

formatting link
Thanks, guys.

Reply to
Warren Oates

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.