Distance question

I live 4 miles from my wireless outside antenna broadcast...my internet service providers who have suggested that I raise my antenna above the trees in the distance I have now...when I raise my tower 25 feet they have NOT promised me that raising my tower will help my signal...these guys are real rear ends and I cant say the word I want to use...I was the first customer they have on this antenna...now they have 17 customers and they I was screwing up everyones else signal by having a tress slightly in the way....are these people giving me a line of crap....also they shut me off...I have had no interent for two weeks...is 17 customers off of one antenna alot of customers....I need some help here men :):)

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
icunurse
Loading thread data ...

I've posted how to do range calculations about 30 times in this newsgroup. The circumstances vary depending on the situation but there are some basics that need to be known.

1. What kind of antenna do you have?
  2. What kind and length of coax the radio?
  3. What tx power and rx sensitivity does the radio run and at what speed? If you don't have these, the model number of the radiow will suffice.
  4. The same information a 1->3 except for your WISP provider.

An excellent idea. 2.4GHz does not go through anything with water inside. Trees (foliage attenuation) are like a wall depending on density.

For good reason. Can you guarantee line of sight and Fresnel Zone clearances? If not, it won't work very well. But even if you had these, there's still the possibility of interference, reflections, multipath, and installation defects. That's too much to go wrong to offer you an SLA (service level agreement) which seems to be what you're expecting.

I once was I nice guy. Then, I helped start WISP. No more nice guy. Same with becoming a landlord. It just goes with the territory. Don't let it bother you.

Here's the way wi-fi channel loading works.

100 customers doing general web surfing and email. 10 business customers doing whatever business customers do. 1 file sharing user. I originally wrote that as a joke, but it seems to be quite real. My guess(tm) is that your un-named WISP doesn't have any bandwidth management or bandwidth limiting in place. That means that one user can hog the entire bandwidth.

Maybe it would be easier to chain saw the trees.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Not withstanding other issues (below), it would be their responsibility within reason to help you get a working signal. Within reason would include assisting you in anyway they can.,..after all, they DID sell you on their service KNOWING there were trees in the way. They did do a visual site server before they started the installation, didn't they? Out of reason would be them paying for a significantly higher mast. Just thinking here, perhaps they did a path survey before the trees foliaged out.

That doesn't make sense for them to say that (unless they are using you as part of a meshed deployment and a weak signal makes your node useless to them)...it would be more reasonable to believe that if the trees were NOT interfering, then you were screwing up everyone else (by using too much bandwidth perhaps).

Or not being as forthcoming to what their motives are. Perhaps they don't have a TOS to fall back on to justify cutting off your service (for using more bandwidth they anticipated) or perhaps they offered you a SLA (Service Level Agreement) they can't hold themselves up to and are afraid you'll get nasty with them (the Better Business Bureau route) and simply hope just hope you'll disappear.

That sucks. Get them to explain why. Was there a TOS violation (see above)?

Depends on their backbone speed and bandwidth management policies in place.

If they have a single 1.5 Mbps T1 circuit and a teenager gets on line and starts file sharing music files, their network pretty much become useless to anyone else if they have no process to throttle usage. I've installed wired T1 lines for businesses and usually thirty or forty workstations have no problems, but another customer may have Citrix'ed Desktops and ten stations is a problem - it all depends on the business.

Reply to
nevtxjustin

Not withstanding other issues (below), it would be their responsibility within reason to help you get a working signal. Within reason would include assisting you in anyway they can.,..after all, they DID sell you on their service KNOWING there were trees in the way. They did do a visual site server before they started the installation, didn't they? Out of reason would be them paying for a significantly higher mast. Just thinking here, perhaps they did a path survey before the trees foliaged out.

That doesn't make sense for them to say that (unless they are using you as part of a meshed deployment and a weak signal makes your node useless to them)...it would be more reasonable to believe that if the trees were NOT interfering, then you were screwing up everyone else (by using too much bandwidth perhaps).

Or not being as forthcoming to what their motives are. Perhaps they don't have a TOS to fall back on to justify cutting off your service (for using more bandwidth they anticipated) or perhaps they offered you a SLA (Service Level Agreement) they can't hold themselves up to and are afraid you'll get nasty with them (the Better Business Bureau route) and simply hope just hope you'll disappear.

That sucks. Get them to explain why. Was there a TOS violation (see above)?

Depends on their backbone speed and bandwidth management policies in place.

If they have a single 1.5 Mbps T1 circuit and a teenager gets on line and starts file sharing music files, their network pretty much become useless to anyone else if they have no process to throttle usage. I've installed wired T1 lines for businesses and usually thirty or forty workstations have no problems, but another customer may have Citrix'ed Desktops and ten stations is a problem - it all depends on the business.

Reply to
nevtxjustin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.