Disabling Wireless Connection On Shutdown

I am using WIndows XP and I have a Wireless LAN network. I do not intend to connect to internet, everytime I login. I was suggested before to disable the wireless connection to disconnect from the network. However, sometimes I forgot to disable the wireless connection manually before I reboot/shutdown, and in the next login, my computer is still connected.

I did some search. I found that it was suggested to use a script under computer policy during shutdown, something like: net stop "Network Connections"

However, this script does not stop the Network Connection to start during login. In addition, even if I disable Network Connections service, my wireless lan connection is still active. The only way I could stop the wireless connection to function is to disable DHCP service. But, then I do not know how to turn the service on with a script or command line. I need to go to services.msc and manually start the DHCP service.

In brief, is there a script or task that I could use to disable the wireless network connection before reboot/shutdown?

Thanks.

Reply to
hammaer
Loading thread data ...

Disable the wireless function of the router in the router setup screen.

Reply to
John R Weiss

connection

computer

"DISCONNECT".

connection

Under preferred networks, highlight the SSID and click properties. click the connection tab, there is a checkbox there that says "Connect when this network is in range". This might work, these directions are XP SP2 though.

Reply to
Airhead

I'm not sure if I quite follow you, but here goes: Yes, with the Windows Wireless Zero oOnfiguration Utility, you can disconnect from the wireless network at the click of the button titled, "DISCONNECT". Even if you, as you put it, "forget to disable the wireless connection manually before you rebbot/shutdown", it doesn't matter because your computer is automatically disconnected from the network when you shudown. As for disabling DHCP, why? It is my assumption that you are using a wireless router or a wireless Access Point. Depending on the the features of your wireless router /AP, you should be able to restrict specific computers from accessing the network at specific times. This may be the route you're looking for and would negate your need to manually disable from your wireless network. Anyway, it is just a thought. Take care.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Thank you for your replies.

I forgot to mention I am using SP1. SP2 caused too many problems.

I do not use Wireless Zero Configuration. It keeps disconnecting. Even if I did, I do not see any "Disconnect" on the WZC. I only have the Disable option on the Wireless Network Connection.

I do not see the "Connect when this network is in range", on the Wireless Zero Configuration.

Could not I have a script call to netshell to disable the network?

I just want to automatically disable the network card during shutdown.

Reply to
hammaer

You can disable the card with a tool downloaded from Microsoft.

First, you need to find the device you want to send commands to: devcon find * > all_devices.txt Then you can set up a batch file to look at the status or disable devcon status "PCIVEN_10B7&DEV_6055*" devcon disable "PCIVEN_10B7&DEV_6055*" Change the "PCI..." to your device.

The real trick would be to get it to run at shutdown time. Supposedly, you can put programs into a "shutdown" folder, just like the startup folder, but that doesn't work for me. You could put it in the startup folder, or maybe the autoexec.bat.

Then you'd want another bat file to enable it when you wanted to use it.

Reply to
dold

I strongly recommend that you upgrade to SP2 and work through the problems. Your PC is extremely vulnerable without the security patches.

Power saving mode on the network card? Common cause of this problem.

You get improvements to WZC with SP2. They make it usable.

ditto.

You might be able to net stop the service.

It all seems a bit pointless tho. Simply pull the card out before booting, and you'll achieve the same effect.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

With 2K and XP, you can create a user and machine logon and logoff script. You then tell windows to run these, using the group policy editor in Administrative Tools.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Perfect. Devcon does what I intend to. I appreciated a lot. I have been trying to figure this out for quite a while.

Yes, you can use gpedit.msc and create a script under shutdown.

I used "net stop netman", but network connection was still active.

I do not use the power saving mode on the network card. It has continuous access. There are many reasons pointed for WZC disfunctioning, I followed maybe 10 suggestions, yet could not fix it.

I wished I had an operating system that would be robust. I did not know if I would ever be able to put my PC together for SP2. In addition, Microsoft still issues security patches. With SP2, I still need to add the patches.

Thanks a lot for your help.

I am guessing there should be a way to disable windows to enumerate a particular device during login, too. That would work too and be slightly faster.

Reply to
hammaer

I don't know what's up with several different magazines talking about a "shutdown" folder, but gpedit is good to know.

I have installed SP2 on several machines, including my laptop with wireless, and a couple of desktops with wireless. My son can't get it to work on his desktop, which started out the same as one of mine. He thinks it has something to do with having dual monitors once upon a time, although he even removed the second video card, thinking he would put it back in after SP2, but it just doesn't work for him. I'm not sure exactly what happens. He described it, but I forget.

Disabling the device, instead of removing it, causes Windows to not rediscover it. I remember some stuff about not enumerating new serial devices as a way to avoid discovering a GPS as a serial mouse.

Reply to
dold

I highly recommend that you reinstall SP-2 and then the update to SP-2.

SP-2 made wireless networking a whole lot easier. I still like my

Netgear wireless config. better, still, I am able to use either. Under

SP-1 , I could not get "encrypted" wireless access no matter what I

did. Anyway, prior to updating to SP-2, update your device drivers.

They may require updating to work properly with SP-2. By the way, what

are the make and model of your PCs? What make and model are your

wireless cards and wireless router/Access Point?

Reply to
doug Jamal

I was looking to do something similiar but disable the wireless NIC when

the integrated NIC (10/100/1G) was connected. I have some code but it

just needs to be pieced together. Basic premise:

Do a ipconfig /all | find /i "connected" on the appropriate NIC

run the following script to id all wireless cards (see below)

run the devcon against the results of the script.

If anyone has a better script to disable any wireless NIC when the

onboard NIC is installed it would be greatly appreciated.

D

Const wbemFlagReturnImmediately = &h10

Const wbemFlagForwardOnly = &h20

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\localhost\root\WMI")

Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM

MSNdis_80211_Configuration", "WQL", _

wbemFlagReturnImmediately +

wbemFlagForwardOnly)

For Each objItem In colItems

InstanceName = objItem.InstanceName

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\localhost\root\CIMV2")

Set colItems1 = objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM

Win32_NetworkAdapter", "WQL", _

wbemFlagReturnImmediately +

wbemFlagForwardOnly)

For Each objItem1 In colItems1

if objItem1.Description = InstanceName then

wirelessCard = objItem1.PNPDeviceID

end if

Next

Next

msgbox wirelessCard

Reply to
wysiwyg08620

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.