directional antennas for Orinoco Gold wireless card

I'd like to get a directional antenna for an Orinoco Gold wireless card that I have so that I might get better reception in hotels and am having some difficulty finding one. I did a Google search for "orinoco directional" and found the following:

formatting link
That one, unfortunately, appears to be for access points.

Maybe there's some standard for external antenna jacks that I should be searching for instead of "orinoco directional"? ie. if I want to buy an external mouse for a ThinkPad, typing in "thinkpad mouse" wouldn't yield as good results as "usb mouse" would.

Any ideas?

Reply to
yawnmoth
Loading thread data ...

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 09:23:55 -0800 (PST), yawnmoth wrote in :

Determine the type of connector on your wireless card, and then get a standard antenna and cable with a connector to match. Keep the cable as short as possible to avoid excessive signal loss.

Another good option:

Reply to
John Navas

The Orinoco Gold had an MC connector. Look for as an option on an antenna, or a pigtail/adapter from MC to whatever the antenna of your choice uses.

formatting link
?productid=2392&cat=266&page=1
formatting link
My experience is that the Orinoco Gold is probably six or more years old,

802.11b only, and a new 802.11g or n card will probably serve you better than buying a cumbersome antenna that connects to a little tiny fragile connector. If directional gain is important, maybe a USB-client/antenna combo, like those from Hawking Technologies, would be of interest.
Reply to
dold

formatting link

Reply to
(¯`·.=B

A simpler solution might be something like below.

formatting link

Reply to
Si Ballenger

The O.P. did not state his O/S or host hardware; I would like to remind folks that not everyone runs Windows or *ix on modern hardware. The Orinoco Gold card is one of very few supported by WinCE 2.x on handhelds for example, and adding external antennas is often a viable solution for coverage issues. I use one with a little patch antenna on a Fujitsu handheld for example.

Michael

Reply to
msg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.