Different Wireless speeds on 2 hard drives

Hi all,

I have two hard drives in my computer, both with windows xp sp2 On my first hard drive, when i run a speed test, i get results of about

16 Mbps, but when i run the same speed test on the other one i only get about 8 Mbps I have wireless and when wired i get about 26 Mbps on another machine, which i guess is normal because I am using wireless. But I do not know why there is a difference in speeds between my two hard drives. The wireless card drivers are the same and i can think of no difference that would make the speed faster on the first hard drive.

My card is a D-Link WDA 2320 and my router is a Linksys WRT54GS. My ISP is Comcast.

Any help or insight would be great, thanks in advance! Nick

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
nick1213x
Loading thread data ...

Are they both clean installs with nothing else loaded? If not then there are all sorts of other issues to consider.

One other thing to consider is if you've been monkeying around with drives there's the chance the OS has turned off DMA access and put the slower drive/OS in PIO mode. STFW for more info.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

nick1213x hath wroth:

Any particular brand and model numbers?

Any particular speed test that you're running? If run from the command line, any particular incantation, options, flags, or proceedure?

Have you tried running a speed test from one hard disk to the other? Do it both ways. I've gotten some really ugly preformance issues when I'm running IDE drives as master and slave. Some drives just doesn't like playing slave to a different brand of drive controller.

Any particular wireless device(s)? Router and client hadware would be nice. Extra credit for the hardware version and firmware.

Got a description for this "other" machine?

If you're running ethernet between two machines, and you have an ethernet switch (not a hub) in between the two machines, you should get about 80-90Mbits/sec thruput between machines at 100baseT-FDX. Since you're not even getting close to that, something else is screwed up here. My guess(tm) is your machine has either something running in the background (i.e. automatic backup program, file indexer, goofy anti-crash utilities) or is infected with spyware, worms, or badly written software. See:

Could I trouble you to decide if you're using wired (where you claim you are getting 26Mbits/sec thruput) or whether you are using wireless and are getting something else? Some numbers would really be useful. What *NUMBERS* are you getting for the various download speeds.

If you supply the maker and model numbers for the drives, it might be possible to deduce the problem from the specifications, assuming they are working correctly.

I usually can, but my crystal ball and Ouija board are temporarily out of service.

Ummm, are you running a download test from the ISP via the internet? If so, you are measuring the Comcast speed, not the speed of your wireless. The differences in timing might be nothing more than coincidence or that the Comcrash system has become busy. Also, if you're getting 26Mbits/sec via Comcast, you must have some kind of truely impressive service. Also, depending on hardware version, the typical WRT54GS will max out at about 20Mbits/sec. See list at:

Try using Iperf, without Comcast, instead:

You'll need two machines, one to act as a server. Do the initial testing without wireless using CAT5 ethernet. You should get

80-90Mbits/sec this way. If not, something is really wrong with the computers (not the wireless) and you should do troubleshooting.

On the server computer, run: iperf -s On the test client computer, run: iperf -c 192.168.1.xxx where the IP address is the IP address of the server machine. There are plenty of other fun options, but start with the basic TCP test.

Numbers are very helpful. More numbers are even better.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.