Did not assign a network address

'Kay. Issues with my laptop. I operate a laptop and a desktop via a Linksys and a router. Both were working like a charm. Laptop stops working. Says it detects the connection, identifies it as varying from "very good" to "excellent." Fails to acquire the IP address, prints the response "did not assign a network address." This laptop also works like a charm when I take to my folks' place and use their wireless connection.

Any suggestions? Please assume that I am not tech-savvy in the slightest, and will not understand most of what is said if it's not offered in clear, step-by-step instructions for me to try.

Reply to
Fool548891
Loading thread data ...

If your unspecified model laptop, and unspecified model Linksys wireless router happen to be using WEP encryption, then please use the Hex key instead of the ASCII key. However, if possible, switch from WEP to WPA-PSK which doesn't have this problem.

Naw, that would be too easy and no fun. One must suffer before enlightenment.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for taking the time to respond. My laptop is, to the best of my ability to decipher the labels, a Toshiba Satellite A75-S209. There's a blue thingy with flashing lights that says "Wireless-B Broadband Router." I've switched from WEP to WPA-PSK. I don't understand what HEX or ASCII keys are or how to switch them. Any advice?

Thanks >

Reply to
Fool548891

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com hath wroth:

No, not really. The "blue thingy" is made by Linksys and probably has a label with the model number on the bottom. The Wireless-B router makes it a BEFW11S4. If this is the v4 model, I consider this to be a piece of junk.

I'll make an astute guess that you switched from WEP to WPA-PSK on your Toshiblah laptop client and not in the blue thingy configuration page. Since we're both guessing that you're using WEP and which may or may not be the source of the problem, I suspect your abilities to impliment a wireless configuration change is rather limited.

I think you're over your head a bit here and need to get some hands-on help from the local wireless installer or computah expert. Have them also upgrade your Linksys router firmware to the latest release, and also install any necessary driver updates to your Toshiba laptop. I don't think you can handle the process.

You might want to reconsider thanking me.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.