dialup wireless network ?

Is there anything different about setting up a wireless network using a dialup modem to access the internet, if so, what?

Terry

Reply to
Terry Kangas
Loading thread data ...

have you read this article on the subject ?

formatting link

Reply to
Reed

Yep. Most broadband connections are full time with no conntects and disconnects. A dialup modem/router picks up the line when there's traffic, and hangs up when it's no longer busy.

Look on eBay for a 3com 3C888 or 3C886 Office Connect dialup router. It has everying in one package so you don't have to tie up a computah to do the dialing and PPP connection. Looks like there are a few available, but the prices are rediculous. It should be about $75US.

Also a Netgear RM356 for about the same price (or less).

There are also a bunch of Webramp modem/router models. Not recommended but they go very cheaply.

Incidentally, I use the 3com devices for backup if the DSL goes down.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You may want to check out the WiFlyer at

formatting link
Pocket szed combo access point + dialup modem for under 100 bucks (on sale now, normally

129). Use it when I travel, and it allows multiple users/devices to share the modem access (no computer needed).. Handy since I have both a PDA and Laptop, and sometimes need both to access the internet at the same time..
Reply to
Peter Pan

I had a 3com 3c886 for years. Works great.

Reply to
gene martinez

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.