dialup wifi

I'm setting up a wireless network for a friend who only has dialup. He has an internal modem on his internet computer. Am I correct in thinking that I can hook that computer up to a router and have "internet connection sharing" turned on and then just have to have that computer left on at all times? (that is how my DSL wifi network is set up) But how would you activate the modem from the other computers? (DSL is on all the time) Or would he have to have an external modem?

Terry

Reply to
Terry Kangas
Loading thread data ...

Check the below link:

formatting link

Reply to
Si Ballenger

You got 2 of 3 assumption correct. The one that's wrong is that you don't need a router with Internet Connection Sharing. The computer with the modem acts as a router (actually it just does NAT and nothing else).

Is your DSL modem a card inside your computer? If not, your arrangement is quite different from your friends setup.

Activate? No problem. Place an ash tray on top of your friends computer containing the printed results of a Google search for "ICS setup". Ignite the paper and recite the magic words "Forgive me for not searching the internet BEFORE I ask questions". If nothing happens, repeat the incantation at least 3 times. An internal modem will work.

Otherwise, see:

formatting link
However, be advised the ICS is considered to be rather flakey and unreliable. If you're friend can't get broadband and is stuck with a dialup connection, I suggest a network modem such as a 3com 3c888 or

3c886 or a Netgear RM356. These are all obsolete but available on eBay. About $50-$75/ea. Avoid Webramp network modems.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I only have dialup here in the sticks, after a lot of Google and postings I got my internal modem on my desktop hooked up with Ethernet to a Linskys WRT54GC Router (using one of the Ethernet ports) and the only way I could share the dialup connection with my laptops (built in wireless) was to use AnalogX Proxy server on my desktop. This is all in my office.

I then configured an airport express(while hooked up with Ethernet to the Linksys) as an access point in the living room (did a great job of extending the range of the router throughout the house and outside) plus I can wirelessly stream my ITunes from my laptop to my home theater and share my desktop dialup connection with both laptops anywhere in the house.

A steep learning curve LOL

Let me know if you want some links.

Bob

Reply to
Leanin' Cedar

Ha! Good one Jeff!

Reply to
Bill Kearney

"Bill Kearney" hath wroth:

Huh? I'm serious. In some cultures, ritual requires that all promises and contract be burned after signing. The resultant smoke goes to the ancestors and gods who are responsible for enforcing the promises and contracts. I thought it was a good idea, but had some difficulties getting various attorneys to follow the practice. Something about a fire alarm.

In my readings of mediaeval alchemy texts, the consensus was that the chemical mechanisms behind transmutation was fairly well understood, but the necessary words to activate the process using the philosophers stone was what was lacking. The search for the magic words to activate the process occupied as much time and effort as the mundane chemical mixtures.

These days, the process of troubleshooting has allegedly been organized to routine and formalized into dogma. Yet, it suffers from the same problems that faced the alchemists. Without the magic words to activate the process, mother nature and father physics will not cooperate (and are often likely to be belligerent in their absence).

I have no intention of revealing my secret incantations and 4 letter epithets that accompany the troubleshooting ceremony. However, I will suggest that our ancestors were highly successful with burnt offerings, which I'm trying to resurrect. For example, I often accompany a major repair job with the immolation of an old motherboard over the hibachi as an offering to the computer gods. It apparently works as I'm still in business after all these years.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.