Dialogue Box Upon Connect?

I am guessing you are talking about "Splash" or "Intro" screens. see

formatting link
for info.

This website (along with many others) describe using DHTML to create it pretty well

formatting link

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

a few of the custom firmwares for the linksys wrt54g wireless gateway can display a splash page when connecting to the base station. i personally have not tried it but it sounds like it is what you want.

This package will turn your Linksys WRT54G access point into a NoCat open portal. This means that users will be presented with a "splash page" of your choosing, and must click a button before they can access the network from your AP.

Reply to
nospam

Actually, if you create a file called "INDEX.HTML"

Reply to
Peter Pan

If all you want to do (as you say in this message) is to display a file upon going to or connecting to a website, that may or may not force you to log in, then any file called "INDEX.HTML"

Reply to
Peter Pan

Hello,

Is anyone familiar with a way to have a "MOTD-type" dialogue box appear on client machines upon obtaining a wireless connection -- without any special configuration on the client's behalf?

I.e., when a client laptop with nothing besides the wireless drivers and TCP/IP connects to a wireless access point, is it possible to have a dialogue box appear on it's screen to give some "MOTD-type" text? A forced web browser to direct to a specific local (LAN) URL would even work and may be preferable as such an approach would be OS (Windows, MAC, GNU/Linux, ect) independent. (That is, if the client's default web browser could be forced to initially execute first since most of the time people don't have a web browser running prior to establishing a connection.)

Possible?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Eric

Suppose it would've helped if had included mention of hardware. This would be with a D-Link router. As for the "MOTD" source, I have computers on the LAN running WinXP, Linux, and SCO. No preference as to which box would provide the MOTD.

You would think that such a feature (MOTD) would be something natively embedded with the retail wireless stuff? I guess the commercial stuff out there has such features though. Just looking for an easy (if possible) way to do this.

TIA..

Reply to
Eric

I'm not sure this is quite what he has in mind. I believe he wants to display a splash screen to any user who connects to his AP, without requiring them to go to a specific website, or load software on the client PC, or anything.

To the OP: I suspect the only way you could do this would be to require clients to go to some webpage and 'sign in'.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Hi,

I did some googling earlier, so can phrase the question a little better.

Basically, just wondering if it is possible for a (host side) login script that will display a dialogue box (or a forced html session to a local URL) to be executed each time a client connects to an AP -- with no necessary configuration on the client's behalf.

The intention being that when a computer connects to the AP (using only it's wireless hardware, drivers for such hardware, and TCP/IP) connects -- it will be greeted by a pop-up dialogue box or forced browser execution/direct to a local URL.

If my understanding on a "NT Login Script" is correct, such an approach would require each client to be pre-configured to process such a script. I was hoping for something that required no configuration for the client, other than (of course) TCP/IP.

Came across many small programs that will open a box/browser session upon connect, but they require client pre-configuration. (Not to mention they are very "backdoor-ish" type programs that wouldn't want running anyway.)

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric

"Mark McIntyre" wrote

Hmm. I was afraid that would probably be the only way. :/

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric

Perhaps its for the better that its not possible to do what I was thinking, anway (?).

Thought just came to my head: if such was possible (forcing a dialogue box or browser session) with nothing beyond TCP/IP on the client's behalf, then that itself could be considered a security hole.

Guess what I thinking (back of mind) that a host could have such control on a client since the client's connection is an "implied authorization/trust" in itself. :/

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric

Unfortunately, that is exactly what worms and viri do (hijack any computers in range and push a program and force something to execute)... and describing exactly HOW to do the push's/worm/viri thing on a NG is (luckily) something that most people will not describe at all.

The OP had essentially asked TWO questions...

The MOTD type stuff is perfectly doable, but the second part of that, is hijacking the browser and forcing it to a specific URL(even if not running), and that is exactly what push/viri/worms do..

Seems to me that if the OP wants to do #1, there are many ways to do it, and many resources to explain exactly how to do it, if however he want to do #2 and write essentially a hijack worm, forget it...anyone answering that question may be held legally liable for any damages caused. I'd suggest people stay out of providing technical assistance to someone looking for potentially destructive information/instruction.

Reply to
Peter Pan

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

there is already a custom firmware designed for hotspots - ewrt. i haven't tried it, so i don't know how good it is.

more info at

Reply to
nospam

I guess I am wondering why you are trying to overcomplicate things? What is wrong with a person typing a URL or saying connect to this site etc from a search engine, click on a bookmark, click on a link, etc and having it display a screen? That's a standard feature of HTML, and exactly what it does! Every piece of harware I have ever used does exactly that. If you click on or go to the following

formatting link
it will go to that website and display the initial screen, asking for input and then click to submit... Why not have the one you want say click here if you agree, and have it go to another url/page etc? That's exactly what the xxx sites do (click here if you are over 18). Why do you want it to hijack a system and execute a program without the users knowledge or doing anything? You keep looking for how to execute a program without the users knowledge, and that is EXACTLY what a hijack/virus/worm does.... Why do you want to know how to write WORMS? are you a hacker?

Reply to
Peter Pan

I think we have a failure to communicate here....When someone connects to a hotspot/ap the very first thing it does (if one exists) Is negotiate a connection and then blank the screen and send a default page to the client. They do absolutely nothing but connect, and then send the default page.. You can't connect to ANY url until your system and an ap link together, at which time the page is displayed BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE IS DONE! The page that gets displayed can very easily display a message...

From the properties of your message, it looks like you may be on a roadrunner/cable/always on/always connected system, and may not be familiar with what happens when you first connect to a website.. Think of it like if you turn off your computer and then turn it on again.. start your browser... you do nothing special but the roadrunner start page screen comes up. Same thing happens with dial-up/WiFi/Sat/Network etc when you first connect. A MOTD is actually very simple, many websites display banners/text/text from a file etc on the page you see when you connect.

For fun, your start page is probably redirected to another URL too... starts at

formatting link
redirected to quantum.rr.com/ipcheck/index.html redirected to
formatting link
where the start page is displayed....

Your first sentence "> The problem would be when a client/user first connects, they would not access an intended URL unless they entered a specific URL address which they would have no knowledge of."

That is WRONG... When you connect to the url/hotspot/website etc whether typing a URL/connecting/turning on your computer etc, the default is gone to and the opening page displayed.

While some of my examples showed going to a specific URL, one is gone to automatically when you connect to your ISP (whether cable/dsl/dial-up/WiFi/Sat/etc). Since you have an always on connection, you don't see it happening unless you turn off/back on your computer.

>
Reply to
Peter Pan

Yes, I'm familiar with HTTP/HTML. Again, this requires active participation on the client/user's behalf. What I wasn't familiar with were "login scripts" -- if (server side), they could direct a client dialogue box to a client/user upon a connection. The browser and HTML idea was just a "kludge" that came to mind, but after re-thinking it (as I wrote in a previous message) wouldn't be such a great idea (if possible) for the same concerns you mentioned.

I think, from reading another reply and now knowing what keywords ("splash screen", wireless, push_splash) to google, what I'm intending is possible. By "splash screen", I'm refering to a splash screen that is "pushed" onto a client upon an established ethernet/wireless connection, not a simple splash screen displayed when executing a local program.

It seems there are quite a few (Linux based) programs out there. I've yet to read far enough this "push_splash" to determine if its only possible with select router/AP hardware (I'm assuming it is), along with select client wireless hardware (I'm hoping it isn't).

The intent is to use it for an open and public AP. I'm wanting to display a "Do you agree"-type disclaimer each time a client/user connects.

Cheers!

-Eric

Reply to
Eric

"nospam" wrote

Thanks! This is definetly pointing me in the right direction! (Exactly what I was hoping for!)

Nocat.net is down at the moment, but from a deja search read that its periodically down. I'll try it later.

Also, found a bunch of web sites on this specific topic that I've bookmarked. Haven't read into them yet, as I'm replying back to your post immiedietly after finding them using search words from your reply. WRT54 led me straight into "wireless splash screens", push_splash, ect. Also lead me towards sites about customizing firmware and even applications that allow you to create your own custom firmware, compile them, and then flash them to hardware. Much of this software is Linux based, which is no problem as have a Linux box sitting right here as well.

From initial scanning of a few sites, look like only select hardware is capable of the above, so may have to invest in a new AP -- which is no problem.

Thanks again! Much, much, appreciated!

Cheers!

-Eric

Reply to
Eric

Thanks.

Now that I used the right search words, the flood gates have opened fully on this. :^)

Looking perhaps even more promising than doing the custom firmware thing is using "NoCat" (as you previous mentioned), but from a local web server. Basically (from what I've read) what this would do is after a client/user connects and attempts to first access any web page (regardless of whatever URL is entered), they will be directed automatically to a specificied URL running on a local web server. After accessing the local URL, they are free to directly access anything out on the WAN. Perfect! However, only slight problem, if I'm thinking right, is that all other ports (email, ftp, telnet, IRC, whatever) would also be blocked until that local URL has been accessed. I.e., client/user would not be able to email (or whatever) until after accessing the URL. That sounds reasonable though.

There is actually quite a bit of software (commercial and free) out there for this, with all sorts of additional features such as time purchasing and logging. Not intending to do anything "commercial", but the client time logging would be a nice feature as well.

Came across one that looks pretty cool, that I'll try out later. Its called "ZoneCD". It is a free, open-source (GNU Licensed), Linux based package. The development group that put this animal together has it compiled in a (Linux based) bootable "Live CD" image. Basically, just burn it onto a CD, slap it into a computer, boot up, and it'll turn the computer into a "hardware box" for WiFi client management. You can even manage it remotely with ssh. (Shouldn't be too difficult to install on an existing Linux platform, if you don't want to do the "LiveCD" thing either.) Now, thats cool! Very cool!

The URL for "ZoneCD" is:

formatting link
Cheers!

-Eric

Reply to
Eric

Hi,

The problem would be when a client/user first connects, they would not access an intended URL unless they entered a specific URL address -- which they would have no knowledge of.

The intent of forcing an initial URL, rest assured, is not based on malice. Using HTML to do an initial MOTD (Message Of The Day) was a "kludge" that came to mind.

If you have ever used an academic, military, or commercial WinNT/2K based LAN, I'm sure you are familiar with the MOTD dialogue box that appears post user login. The MOTD is simply used to present users with priority information after they log in on the network. It may be information telling everyone that the network will be down at a certain time for maintenance, it may be a reminder to the users that the network should only be used for unclassified data, it may be a reminder for users to include cover sheets for their TPS reports. (Joking with the last example, but you get the idea.) :^)

Thats all that was looking to do -- but doing so with wireless clients connecting to an open AP without logins. Since it doesn't appear possible to set up a WinNT MOTD that could be used with an open AP, the idea of using HTML came to mind. In one of my earlier posts in the threads, I mentioned about forcing a client browser execution upon a client connecting wirelessly and directing the browser to a local URL -- but then only minutes later came back and said that forcing a browser execution wouldn't be such a good idea based upon the same concerns. (Forcing a browser execution doesn't even seem possible, which is a good thing.)

What is possible, however, is that client/user could be forced to a specific URL upon initially opening a browser and attempting to access any URL. (I'm not sure if this is what you meant?) I.e., someone connects to the wireless AP, opens their browser, and enters

formatting link
you can force a redirect to, say, http://192.168.x.y -- forcing them to a local web server. After accessing this page, they have full and free run of everything out on the WAN. The local web server is simply just acting as a "Gateway Control Point", giving you some management capability such as having users agree to a disclaimer, allowing you to do client time logging, ect.

This is beneign. There is nothing "malicious" about it. The idea of a forced browser execution, as I said, was just something that popped in my head at the time -- but came back afterwards and stated myself that would be a bad idea.

Anyway, think I found the perfect solution to do all the above. Check out:

formatting link
Cheers!

-Eric

Reply to
Eric

"Peter Pan" wrote in message

I think we have a communication failure as well. :^)

I don't use any proprietary Roadrunner connection software, nor is Roadrunner my default home page for any of my computers. All that is needed to access Roadrunner is simply just the TCP/IP protocol. My defaul home page for all PC's is simply just a local HTML file that has a bunch of my commonly used URLs. I'm not understanding why the default home page for any PC is revelevant though?

Don't know how this is "wrong" when I burned "ZoneCD" this morning and it is functioning EXACTLY like I was intending. All wireless clients that are connecting are being directed to a local URL, upon their first attempt to access any (remote or local) URL. What the default home page is for any connecting client browser is irrelevent. When a connecting client's web browser first tries to access it's default home page, it is redirected to the local URL the same as if any URL were manually entered. "ZoneCD" doesn't even need the internet pipe to be open, it will still initially redirect everything to the local URL. The "internet pipe" is exactly just that -- nothing more than a pipe to the outside world. If the internet pipe is closed, clients will see the the standard "This web page can not be found" error message in their browser after "signing in" to the local URL. Web history of any other PC on the network, or cycling the cable modem's power, plays no bearing. The internet is just a pipe, either it's available or it isn't. The only thing "ZoneCD" really cares about, with clients, is their MAC address. It initially forces the client's browser to the local URL based upon each connection session -- not web history. Each time a client initially connects, they will have to go through the local URL to be authorized out into the public side -- regardless if they didn't clear their browser cache, power cycle, ect.

You seem to be thinking along the lines of the characteristics of a single PC connecting to the internet, and possibly using proprietary connection software. "ZoneCD" is creating an entirely new subnet network. It is acting as a "gateway" (well, "control point" may be better term) to the internet for everything connected to it's subnet. "ZoneCD" is used inbetween your internet pipe (easiest would be from a wired router/gateway feeding off a cable modem) and a wireless router. As I only have one (wireless) router/gateway, when I tried out "ZoneCD" earlier today, I used a PC with two NIC's and ICS for the main internet gateway. Messy, but it did work. I just wanted to ensure that it would work before purchasing additional hardware. (To use "ZoneCD" most efficiently, going to pick up a regular wired router/gateway. They are dirt cheap anyway.)

Take a look at the topology of how this all works together and I believe you'll see it more clearly.

formatting link
Cheers!

-Eric

Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.