DI-624 v2.75 firmware and SSID question

Hi gang,

I use a D-Link DI-624 Version C router and have upgraded my firmware many times over the past. I just updated from v2.70 to the latest v2.75 firmware.

With the new firmware, I'm now unable to set SSID Broadcast to "Disabled". I can choose Disabled and try to Apply the change, but upon restart, I revert to Enabled. In searching the router's Help section and online D-Link web support, I see that for SSID to be disabled, I must not use Extended Range Mode. I can find no other requirement for SSID to be disabled. I use Windows XPHome with the latest Critical Updates.

I have Extended Range Mode disabled but still can not disable SSID. The past v2.70 and earlier firmware versions for my DI-624 did allow me to disable SSID broadcast so the issue must be with the new v2.75 firmware.

Can anyone help me disable the SSID broadcast? Thanks.

Reply to
Craig
Loading thread data ...

"Craig" hath wroth:

Ummm... We have associations, consortiums, strategic alliances, conglomerations and committees. These may sometimes act like street gangs, but professionals are referred to as something other than a gang.

Dunno. However, before you assume that the router has a problem, it might be that the web page has a long expire time and that your browser is reading from the browser cache instead of from the router.

Try forcing a page refresh with . Also try clearing the browser cache. You might also try a different web browser, or perhaps a different computah.

Also, I don't want to start yet another endless discussion on the relative merits of disabling SSID broadcasting, but methinks it's a waste of time and not very useful. What it does commonly do is have the neighbors shinny new wireless router land on your occupied channel because they can't see your broadcasts. |

formatting link
|
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 13:52:28 GMT, "Craig" wrote in :

Why are you so determined to disable SSID broadcast? Security?

"The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN"

SSID hiding: There is no such thing as "SSID hiding". You're only hiding SSID beaconing on the Access Point. There are 4 other mechanisms that also broadcast the SSID over the 2.4 or 5 GHz spectrum. The 4 mechanisms are; probe requests, probe responses, association requests, and re-association requests. Essentially, youre talking about hiding 1 of 5 SSID broadcast mechanisms. Nothing is hidden and all you've achieved is cause problems for Wi-Fi roaming when a client jumps from AP to AP. Hidden SSIDs also makes wireless LANs less user friendly.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.