- router DI-624, rev C, firmware 2.53;

- usb wireless adapter: GWL-G132, latest drivers

WiFi Config:

- SSID not broadcasted

- WPA2/PSK used

- auto select channel

- usb adapter is at less than 10 feet from the router, no interference

Laptop:

- Compaq Armada E500 (USB port 1.0 only)

Problems:

- connexion from wireless drop at random times; unable to make it work again unless I do one of the following :

-- I take the USB adapter off the craddle and insert it back again

-- reboot the laptop

-- reboot the router

-- any action within the DLink uitlity (rescan, reconnect) is useless

- if I transfer a large file from one computer to another, one of them being the one with the wireless adapter, I will eventually get:

- my laptop rebooting itself

- a BSOD, stop D1. In both cases no entry in the event log.

Note that my settings prevent the automatic restart in case of a fatal error. My system should not restart without a giving BSOD !!

If I remove the wireless adapter and use a plain old cat 5 cable on the laptop, none of these "glitches" happens..

I called D-Link support.. No useful help to get from there so-said "experts" : "reinstall the drivers and call us back if that doesn't work" - "reboot the laptop/router". Yeah it works, but the same problem reappears an hour later..

I'm looking for a more permanent solution.. Not a monkey fix..

Any clues, suggestions ?

TIA !

Reply to
Michel S.
Loading thread data ...

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 21:17:53 -0400, Michel S. wrote in :

Start by:

1. Upgrading firmware in all wireless hardware to the latest versions.
  2. Trying it with WEP or even with no encryption..
Reply to
John Navas

Michel S. hath wroth:

I'll assume you're in the USA. Latest firmware is 2.70. See: |

formatting link

It's a DWL-G132. Watch the typos please. |

formatting link

This sounds almost exactly like another complaint about the same DI-624 rev C, firmware 2.53. See: |

formatting link
might want to contact the author and compare notes.

That sounds like a different problem. You might be fighting two different issues here. Certainly, this is not a wireless router issue.

Lovely. I would suspect a hardware problem with the USB port. Have you tried other ports on the machine? Also try it though a USB hub with a power adapter. The USB port on the Armada E500 might not have enough current capeablity to drive the DWL-G132.

1. Update the firmware on the router.
  2. Verify that you really do have the "latest" driver for the DWL-G132.
  3. Try turning off all the features in the router. No 108Mbit/sec modes, no turbo, no encryption, no MAC filters, no IP filters, no
802.11b compatibility mode, etc. Turn it into a very generic wireless access point. Then, turn things on one at a time and see which one causes intermittent connections.
  1. Try a different port and/or a power USB hub for the DWL-G132.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I had similar "Loss of connection" problems with the Dlink. I got rid of it and just received a Trendnet router from Newegg. It was only $20 after rebate. In two days, no dropped connections. I stream music all day which is what didn't work well with the Dlink. So far, perfect performance from this router. Model TEW-432. Ed

Reply to
Ed

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 21:17:53 -0400, Michel S. wrote in :

Upgrade the D-Link DI-624 Rev C with firmware 2.71 Beta 10 (29 Sep

2005), available at (direct link ).
Reply to
John Navas

I replied earlier but my post doesn't seems to be there -- sorry for any duplication.

Jeff Liebermann a formulé ce jeudi :

formatting link
You might want to contact the author and compare notes.

It won't be hard to do : I'm this other person ! :)

Agreed - but maybe with the USB adapter or its driver ? BTW, the

0x000000D1 STOP I get points me to the A5AGU.sys file, which is part of the DWL-G132 driver.

Unfortunately, there's only one USB port on the E500, and it doesn't support 2.0.

I have a powered hub somewhere.. I can try it to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks - I'll make use of them.

Reply to
Michel S.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.