di-624 as an access point

I have a linksys wrt54g and a dlink di-624. I'd like to be able to use the 624 as an access point so I can provide coverage to the upstairs part of the house.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks

Reply to
puzzled186
Loading thread data ...

puzzled186 hath wroth:

From the FAQ How-To: |

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link
I tried to use my DI624 as an access point with Draytek Vigor modem/router a but I found problems. It worked for awhile but after an hour or two it slowed right down. After power cycling it was back to normal. The DI had been working fine as a plain wired router in another house. I ended up replacing the DI with a Belkin Wireless Access Point/Range Extender and that seems fine.

Reply to
CWatters

"CWatters" hath wroth:

Weird. The method works well enough in about a dozen installations that I know about. However, none of them currently use a DI-624 so I have no personal experience.

I don't see how it is possible for the wireless to work differently when used as an access point instead of a router. The only real difference is that the router section is not used and ignored. The wireless bridge part is exactly the same in both configurations and should therefore work the same. The only things I can think of that might cause problems is if there is some bug or glitch in the DI-624 firmware or that there was an NWAY configuration mismatch on the ethernet connection between the DI-624 and the Draytek Vigor box.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yes I never got to the bottom of it and as access points aren't that expensive I took the easy way out.

The slow down appeared to effect the DNS process more than the raw speed. Pages took longer to find and sometimes timed out with DNS errors.

Reply to
CWatters

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.