DI-524 w/ VHF/UFH/FM antenna?

Will it work to try to push a wifi signal over a large, rooftop TV antenna? (VHF/UFH/FM) If so, will I need any amplification if I try to use my D-Link DI-524 router to power it? What exactly kind of cables, connectors, amplifiers do I need?

Thanks for the help, sorry if this seems a little amateurish, but I cannot find the answers elsewhere.

B. Chociej

Reply to
bchociej
Loading thread data ...

No, the frequencies are far apart. Antennas need to be resonant, especially for a transmitter. [Receiving, eh, well, close is often good enough.]

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
miso

Hmm... alrighty. Guess I'll build/buy a good one and use the other for TV. Thanks!

Reply to
bchociej

I think the bigges band for the buck (or your time) is the biquad. I bought a metal pan at Walmart for the reflector.

For outdoor use, I'd be inclined to just buy a commercial antenna. You need to determine if you want to be omnidirectional or directional. Also, just who do you want to talk to?

Reply to
miso

I'd like to make a directional connection over ~1.2 miles/1.9 km, non line-of-sight: at best case there are 4-5 trees, at worst case there are a couple houses in the way. haven't checked it perfectly, but the idea with the tv antenna was to be as cheap/easy as possible.

any ideas?

snipped-for-privacy@sushi.com wrote:

Reply to
bchociej

If you don't have line of sight, I wouldn't spend much time on the project.

There are two line of sight calculation programs on the net that are free. One is Splat, and the other is some careful use of Grass. I downloaded Splat last night and it didn't install properly on Suse

10.0. I didn't spend any time on it, so it may be some missing library, whatever, as the program has been around for some time.

formatting link
Here is some information on Grass for use in this application
formatting link
There is a cygwin version of grass, but it crashed on my windows PC. I haven't tried loading it on my linux PC.

Both programs are covered in the O'Reilly map hacks book.

Reply to
miso

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.