DI 524 router problems "No Connection" issues on laptop

I decided to change out my Belkin 802.11b router when we purchased new notebooks for my wife and I that have built in 80211g built in. Since then, I've been having terrible connection problems with the wireless connection. (My computers do not have the same problems when we go to my daughters or sister in laws house, the notebooks work great.).

So, here is what I have found that happens.. In the morning I turn on my compaq notebook, and when it comes up, the wireless network connection shows no connection, with a red line across the monitors. If I click the monitors I get the box that is suppose to show the wireless networks available and I see none! I click on Advanced and in the bottom box I see the SSID with a red line through it..Ok, so I hit refresh several times and it comes up, and it now shows the network in the upper box. I click OK, still no wireless and the monitors have a red line still, so I click on the monitors and I get a warning that it is not a secure network and to click the box to continue, Ok I do that, and hit ok.. still no connection in the monitors in my task bar, so I click it again and now the SSID has a redline again and noting in the top box..

Sometimes I can click these connections over and over and the wireless comes up, sometimes if I reboot it comes up (not often). Now I have found that if I go in and pull the power on the router and let it reboot, click the monitors on the task bar again and the wireless network comes up.

So, I have made 2 calls to the tech support and got 2 different answers, first, the Tech support guy at DLink told me that I bought a cheap router and what did I expect, he said the problem is with my notebook.. Say What! the notebook works fine with other routers, no problem at all. I did talk with Compaq and from their wireless set up everyting is fine with the Compaq, I even uninstalled the driver and reloaded it

Today I tried Dlink support again and could almost understand the guy on the phone, his suggestion is to change from firmware 1.03 to 1.05 (My router is a 524 Rev A1. After reading all the posts here, I don't think the firmware is my problem, so before I go their, I wanted to post this for help first...

I'd appreciate any help, suggestions and direction on this problem, but from what I am thinking is it is going to sleep or locking up overnight.. and by rebooting the router it comes alive again.. am I wrong?

I am on BellSouth DSL, 3.0 MPS, PPOE, with a static IP address from Bell South .. Notebook computers with the problem are Presiario 2108US notebooks with 802.11g using Broadcoms chipset. I"m getting pretty dissapointed and frustrated.. so any help would be appreciated...

Please reply here and copy my email address as well, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Thanks so much for your help.

Dave Kirkey

Reply to
davidki
Loading thread data ...

I am running the 1.02 firmware and am not having any major problems with my D-Link 524 router although I do have to manually connect to the router with my Thinkpad each time I turn on the laptop. I also have to manually connect to my parents SMC router too. :-) I use the matching D-Link pcmcia adapter in my Thinkpad along with hardwired connections to my desktop computers. When I used to run an USB adapter (different brand) in one of my desktops I had a problem connecting (weak) when the desktop was 2 floor down in my building with brick walls, steel supports and concrete floors. It would still connect though if the adapter was placed in certain positions/angles. My D-Link pcmcia adapter sees all available wireless routers that are available. So does your adapter see the D-Link at all in the Site Survey?

Did you adjust things under Advanced Performance to try different settings? Are you running an Open System or WPA-PSK? I had trouble with WPA-PSK and my router/adapters. Antenna on tight enough? Maybe if you move the position of the router it might help.

How strong is the connection when you are able to connect? Do you still have the Belkin router to try out? Which routers are your daughters or sister in laws using? Do you have a firewall on the laptops that might need to include the router's IP range in it's Trusted Zone?

Just thinking out loud! later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.