DI-524 router having problems acquiring network address

Hi,

I upgraded the firmware on my D-Link DI-524 router yesterday. I am using 5.20C at this point. I also changed from WPA to WPA2-PSK.

I am running on Windows XPon a Toshiba notebook. What I'm finding now is that when I try to get a connection, the wireless card gets stuck on the "Acquiring Network Address" / "Renewing your IP address" stage of connecting.

What I also notice is that if I plug in to the LAN directly, the wireless network at that point seems to acquire the address successfully.

Any idea what might be happening?

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
google
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@stevesanyal.com hath wroth:

Yep. That's an encryption key mismatch failure. Try going back to WPA-PSK and see if that works. This would be a good time for you to test ALL the various encryption modes to see which ones work and which ones do not. No-encryption WEP64 WEP128 WPA-PSK WPA2-PSK-TKIP WPA2-PSK-AES My crystal ball tells me that some of the WPA2 modes may not work on your setup.

Also, check if you have the latest greatest WPA update from Microsloth.

formatting link
probably have this unless you're running a pre-SP2 version of Windoze XP.

Good test for the DHCP server, but not for the wireless encryption.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for your repsonse, Jeff.

My router has the option to use WPA2 for Security and it offers PSK or EAP.

I'm pretty sure I have the latest WPA update since I installed the WPA2 stuff yesterday.

In Windows as far as I can tell I have to choose either WPA2-PSK-TKIP, WPA2-PSK-AES, WPA2-TKIP, or WPA2-AES.

I don't see an option to use just WPA-PSK as you described.

Regards, Steve

Reply to
google

Disable all security, and try again. If it worries you, unplug the router from the internet while doing this test.

Huh? Not sure what you mean by plugging the wireless unit into the lan directly... Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

I don't have a DI-524 (what hardware version?) in front of me. The online emulator at:

formatting link
only a much older firmware. Digging through the Dlink web pile, I find the latest US versions are: E1 5.00 D1 4.00 C1 3.24 A1 1.21 None of these correspond to your 5.20C version. If you are NOT in the US, please disclose your country and exact model number.

The wireless settings should be on the above mentioned URL. As I vaguely recall, you should have a choice between WPA and WPA2. However, as I don't have such a unit, I can't verify this.

As for: "In Windows as far as I can tell I have to choose either WPA2-PSK-TKIP, WPA2-PSK-AES, WPA2-TKIP, or WPA2-AES." could you be a bit more specific as to what Windoze mutation you're using, to what service pack level, whether you're using Windoze Wireless Zero Config, or Config-Free from Toshiba, or the manufacturers drivers? The model number of the Toshiba should be helpful. My guess (reading between your lines) is that you're using Config-Free which should give you WPA-PSK or WPA1 as an option. However, I don't have Config-Free handy so I'm guessing from memory again.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Sorry what I mean is that my notepad has a wireless adapter as well as an ethernet port. If I plug into the ethernet port it does connect to the router. Once I connect via this method, the wireless connection also succeeds. Otherwise it stalls at the "Acquiring network address" point.

What I have been able to do a few times is just authenticate this way and then unplug (thereby dropping the hardwire connection) and use the wireless connection.

I haven't tried disabling all security altogether I will try and give that a shot, tho it won't really solve my problem.

I have done stuff like disable my static dhcp's. This all worked fine before I went to 3.20!

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Reply to
google

Hi Jeff,

Hmm. Well we seem to be looking in slightly different places. I'm looking here:

formatting link
I don't see a version 3.24 there. I only have version 3.20. I am in Canada. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Here is the firmware date as it appears in the router: Firmware Version: 3.20 , Thu, 18 Aug 2005

I'm running Windows XP SP2. I'm not using Config-Free. I am using the wireless configuration interface built into Windows XP.

The Toshiba Model No. doesn't exist in the US, but it's a 1.6 GHz Centrino. I noticed that the DI-524A model had a fix for Centrino processors, but the C model which I use doesn't use this.

Thanks again for your help.

Steve

Reply to
google

It does. You should be using this web pile:

formatting link
formatting link

That would be the C1 hardware version. Please look at the serial number tag on your DI-524 for the hardware version number.

Also note that you posted: "I upgraded the firmware on my D-Link DI-524 router yesterday. I am using 5.20C at this point. I also changed from WPA to WPA2-PSK." which is what inspired my question. Your number appears to be a typo error.

The Canadian web pile also lists 3.20 as the latest version for C1 hardware:

formatting link

That's Windoze Wireless Zero Config. If you have SP2, you probably also have the necessary WPA support. Windoze XP SP2 does not support all mutations of WPA2. That's because the WPA patch was released before the Wi-Fi Daliance released their changes to WPA2. This sorta covers the problem:

formatting link
try the other encryption modes. I suspect that's the problem.

Really? Flip your Toshiblah Centrino laptop over and kindly supply the model number. It's something like A45-S213 or something similar. That will tell me if there are any MiniPCI card, driver, or model specific issues.

Actually, it was the Centrino chipset that was broken but nobody wanted to fix it. So, everyone had to tweak their timing to accomidate Intel/Philips.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi Jeff,

You're right - when I stated the firmware version was 5.20C I was incorrect. I should have stated that I upgraded the firmware to 5.20, but the hardware version I have of my router is C1. Sorry about that.

Here is my Toshiba model number: PSM40C-JM300E. I remember reading a while back how it was only released in Canada.

I upgraded the router firmware because I have been experiencing a lot of errors where I was clicking a link and the response came back "Cannot find server" and then I'd refresh and it would work after that. Someone in another post suggested I get the most recent firmware.

Wrt the other possible encryption settings. None of them seem to work for me now. In addition to upgrading my firmware to support the WPA2 security, I upgraded my Windows driver also which previously didn't have the WPA2 security. So the problem may either be with the firmware or with the Windows upgrade.

In any case, the only way at present I can get wireless to work is to first plug into my ethernet port, which seems to also allow my wireless connection to authenticate. This doesn't make sense to me since they are different devices, but when I don't plug in to the ethernet port, the wireless card never manages to renew its IP address.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards, Steve

Reply to
google

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.