DHCP

If I were to turn on DHCP using my router software Winroute lite to let people access the Internet through my network how can I keep people from accessing my files? I password protected all my shared drives but will someone be able to crack that?

I'm using 128 bit WEP on my wireless network but I guess I would need to disable that to let people on wouldn't I?

Ideas or recommendations will be appreciated. George F.

Reply to
George Fleagle
Loading thread data ...

I depends on your AP. Proxim for instance, lets you turn off client to client communication; assuming that the clients can't connect directly.

Best bet is to have your local network on a different network via firewall.

ISPInet into one port

192.168.100.0/24 on secondary 192.168.200.0/24 on trinary

You then setup the firewall to block ALL communication from .100 .200 then NAT both .100 and .200 to your ISP. Note that this still doesn't solve the multiple computers that could be seen on either network. Your neighbors need to know that this is a possiblity -> could be a good thing or bad thing depending on your neighbors.

have fun!

todh

George Fleagle wrote:

Reply to
OldGuy

There is actually no way to allow others to access the internet over your router and keep your home netowork save with common SOHO wireless routers. In most routers the WLAN and the LAN interface are bridged, always allowing the WLAN users to access the LAN.

On enterprise level firewalls, VPN-Gateways and a dedicated network for access points will make it possible.

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Krüger

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.