DG834G Wireless Drop Out

Using Google I see repeated mention of problems with the DG834G wireless, where people notice that the AP's wireless will suddenly stop and can be restarted by making some arbitrary configuration change to the wireless setting such as channel number etc.

I found that I could even shut down the AP's wireless just by siting a client wireless very close the base unit.

Has anyone any handle on what is going on? Are there any know "better" settings of wireless channel or region or whatever which reduces these incidents?

Does anyone know whether this is an issue which can be addressed by firmware upgrades or whether there is an intractable design fault in the hardware design or in bad components?

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold
Loading thread data ...

upgrade the firmware to 1.05.00 or later, it has a much more robust wireless driver - Ive never had any probs with this myself. I think a lot of it depends on your environment...you see lots of stuff regarding this particular model, as its the most predominant wireless adsl gateway in europe - I read somewhere that theyve sold over 1 million of them !

Reply to
MM

I want to run pairs of DG834Gs V2s in quite close proximity, but that does not seem to be possible with any version of software through V2.10.17.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

Mine aren't in that close a proximity to each other, but I run three DG834G's and I've never had any wireless problems - I run them on channels 1, 6 & 11 which I understand do not have any overlap and therefore I guess don't interfere with each other. I'm not sure how closely you want to place yours but mine are about 15m apart.

David.

Reply to
David

I've had problems where two DG834Gs are about 1.5 metres apart and also where the DG834G was about 1 metre from a DECT (digital 1.9GHz) phone base station. But I'm not sure that the close proximity to another device a critical factor.

formatting link
that there is a widespread problem with just solitary routers. Many of those posts are vague as to what causes the client to lose connection. In my case the wireless indicator on the router continues to shine but nearby computers running Netstumbler etc see no whiff of an 802.11 signal while those from other APs can still be detected. This all suggests that the DG834G wireless is still sending something but it is no longer 802.11.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

Just a thought Tony, but we did have a problem when we first put the DG834G's in and in the end it was traced (or perhaps I should say cured because I don't understand what the problem actually was) by disabling the ability of the DG834G to talk with 802.11b traffic (there's an option somewhere in the wireless setup to specify "b & g", "b only" or "g only" and this did cause us problems). In the end we setup the 834G's as "g only" and installed a cheap ME102 on a slightly different ESSID to talk to any legacy 802.11b devices we still had and that seemed to stop the problems.

Might be worth a try depending on whether you need to support b devices or not.

Thanks, David

Reply to
David

Thanks for that anecdote David. At present the clients are a mixture so I would also need to provide a separate APs for the b's. Unless Netgear can come up with at least an acknowledgement that they know about the problem and believe it can be sorted, I'm minded to toss them all into a dumpster and just get different units which really do work. Life is just too short to fiddle much more with these dogs.

Can anyone recommend a rugged (24/7) equivalent (aDSL modem/router/bg AP)? I don't really need the firewall function.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.