DG834G and cordless phone

Hi,

I've recently purchashed a Netgear DG834G router/adsl modem and Netgeat WG311 wireless NIC. It all works great when the router is in the same room as the computer at 100% signal, but when I move the router into the next room (near the phone socket), the router is not picked up at all during scanning.

Due to the length of cables, I have to place the router directly next to a cordless phone, and I think that this may be the problem.

Before I go to the trouble of extending the cables etc, does anybody know if a cordless phone can cause complete lack of contact to the router? I'd just like to get a view on other peoples experiences with cordless phones and wireless routers.

Cheers,

Will.

Reply to
William Gould
Loading thread data ...

Depends on the frequency of the cordless phone. Given your apparent email address i'm going to assume you're in the UK and your phone is probably a DECT model.

This should NOT cause a problem. My DECT base station is right next to my router and has no problems. On the other hand it's also right next to a video sender which is on 2.4GHz and I have to choose channels carefully to make the wireless work with that.

You haven't said what sort of walls your dealing with.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

If it's DECT there shouldn't be interference anyway, probably some other source.

Be nice to be told the type of phone etc. :)

Reply to
David Taylor

Try changing the channel on the router. If there is interference from cordless phone it may help.

It worked for me with my cordless phone/router interference.

Rohit

Reply to
Roy Amin

The problem may not be interference. In my experience the Netgear DG834G Access Point wireless will often simply shut down in the presence of any strong radio signals, such as another Access Point or a DECT base station within a few metres. The wireless indicator light stays alight and the configuration pages say everything is working, but the wireless signals have simply ceased. And this problem (which I have seen in several situations with both v1 and v2 hardware) is independent of the firmware used. In one case I have had to plug a another (Motorola) AP into a DG834G LAN socket and to switch off the DG834G own AP.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

Yes, that sounds like it. It was placed next to the DECT phone base station (BT Synergy), and it seems to shut down, but the lights are still on. There was simply no access to the AP from the PC. I moved it back to its original position and it worked fine again with a 100% signal. The wall between the the rooms is a simple plasterboard affair, so I can't see that causing the problem. I'm new to wireless networking, so it didn't occur to me that the cordless phone may cause a problem. I'll switch the phone off from the mains when I move the AP next time, and see if that helps!! Thanks for all your replies. Cheers, Will.

Reply to
William Gould

Reply to
John Navas
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

I don't know that it does. I said "if". It is an option in my DI-624.

Reply to
John Navas

Eh? What version of firmware for the DG834G had any Auto channel option?

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.