Detect nearest repeater (WG602v2)

I have just bought a Netgear WG602 (v2) AP to act as a repeater (to pair with another WG602 (v2)), so that I can boost my wireless connectivity in my garden (on a laptop running XP Pro). I have a couple of questions:

1. How can I detect which one of the two AP's I'm connecting to? I can still pickup a signal (albeit a poor one) from my original access point, so I'd like to have a way of determining whether I'm getting the best out of my wireless. I was hoping that tracert or something similar would show me.

1. Is there a way to force which one I connect to?

2. How do the two AP's, or XP determine which one I connect to? I suspect that whichever one it detects first, it will stay with until a disconnection.

Thanks

Reply to
steve.williams31
Loading thread data ...

As this is a "client side" issue, it would have be productive to post details on the laptop's wireless setup.

For example, if you were using a Netgear wireless nic in your laptop, it comes with a utility that will easily identify all of the beacons that can be "seen" with their respective received signal strengths, and allow you to connect to the beacon of your choice...

Reply to
daytripper

You could always use 'arp -a' to see the hardware addresses of the devices. Or you could use the netstumbler program to see quite a lot more.

Most client programs usually seek out the one with the best signal. If you use netstumbler you could walk around your garden and see which ones are giving better coverage. You may find it useful to move the access point, adjust or even change out it's antenna.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Thanks for replying guys, i have it sorted now.

It was ll to do with the pesky "Let Windows manage my wireless" checkbox. Once I unchecked this, and installed the latest drivers and software for my Intel network card, things became much clearer. Not only can I now see both of the AP's associated with my network, and which one I'm connecting to, I can now specify a mandatory AP! I've now specified the MAC address of the nearest AP, and all seems to be working very well.

Thanks.

Bill Kearney wrote:

Reply to
steve.williams31

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.