Dependable wireless router?

Hi, Kid is going away to college and he needs a wireless router for his school work. Could some one recommend a most reliable -11b/g router to fill his needs? Have not been keeping up with changes in router world. I was thinking older WRT54G(S). TIA, Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang
Loading thread data ...

| Kid is going away to college and he needs a wireless router for his | school work. Could some one recommend a most reliable -11b/g router | to fill his needs? Have not been keeping up with changes in router | world. I was thinking older WRT54G(S).

They're all unreliable. But probably among the least unreliable is the Linksys WRT54GL.

Maybe John will drop by and let you know which ones are rock solid and very reliable (e.g. never fail, always get a good signal, secure, etc).

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Depends on your budget of course. What I've been using is a linux based WRT54G, Version 2 with Alchemy firmware loaded on it. Extremely stable firmware with very good QOS for the price. You can pick one up on eBay for about $40 or so. Most likely, you can do a little reading and update the firmware yourself.

Reply to
TH

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 02:40:02 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote in :

Apple Airport Express. Highly recommended.

Reply to
John Navas

Hmmm, Looks like I am going to send away a WRT54GS(v. 4) with latest dd-wrt f/w. Hope it'll serve him OK. Thanks, Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Decided on an old stand-by. WRT54GS(v.4) with latest dd-wrt f/w and JTAG cable in case. Hope it'll do it. Thanks, Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.