Dell1350Wlan & NetGear Wgt624 NO DHCP

I cannot get my Dell 1350 WLAN card to obtain a DHCP from NETGEAR WGT624. Even when I set ip to static I still cannot connect. My card can see my SSID. I am getting a strong signal. But I cannot connect. I have downloaded latest Dell 1350 drivers and NetGear firmware. My NetGear route is a DHCP client to roadrunner. I can connect to internet through a wire connection attached to my wireless router and it get a dhcp address.

any ideas?

Reply to
Tbone
Loading thread data ...

"Tbone" wrote in news:1122950650.658200.287500 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

What IP is the machine getting wired or wireless when you enter IPconfig /all at the DOS Command Prompt and what O/S is it?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

You *CAN* connect and already have connected. What you probably haven't done is successfully negotiate a WEP encryption key. Without a proper negotiated key, nothing is going to work (including DHCP).

First, temporarily turn OFF encryption in the WGT624 and see if it works. It probably will. Try browsing, email, etc and make sure things are working. If that doesn't work, post some more detail on your setup and I'll make some more guesses.

Then, turn WEP back on, but this time use a Hex encryption key, instead of an ASCII encryption key. ASCII doesn't always work between allegedly compatible wireless devices. Hex always works.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 19:44:10 -0700, MR. TROY "Tbone" MANGUM ("Tbone" in the message

wrote in the usenet group alt.internet.wireless a big fat question of curousity:

Sure. I know exactly what the problem is. In certain situations (especially when using the recent Dell issue wireless G chipsets in conjunction with the Netgear access points, an unhealthy high amount of static impedance buildup occurs in the surrounding atmosphere, particularly in areas of low and medium elevation (in mountainous high elevation regions this isn't nearly the case) as I am sure Dell Support has probably already explained. There a few ways to get around this. Do a query of all wireless devices, microwave ovens, RC devices and pleasure clubs (planes, and cars) and garage door openers. You will then need to place such devices under the inspection of a valid, certified operator of a high thermal stability micropower voltage reference meter. This sounds like a great deal of effort and expense but any typical radio shack employee could probably offer the service remotely for a fee of around 10 bucks or less (or at the very least turn you in the direction of some inexpensive alternative.

You can try to use a static defusing device by placing large pieces of Styrofoam on top, beside, and underneath your wireless access devices. You might also want so smear a small amount of viscous material upon the antenna and external interfaces of your laptop and access point. This often fixes the problem as well.

Reply to
Curtis Smallboner

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 19:44:10 -0700, MR. TROY "Tbone" MANGUM ("Tbone" in the message

wrote in the usenet group alt.internet.wireless a big fat question of curousity:

Sure. I know exactly what the problem is. In certain situations (especially when using the recent Dell issue wireless G chipsets in conjunction with the Netgear access points, an unhealthy high amount of static impedance buildup occurs in the surrounding atmosphere, particularly in areas of low and medium elevation (in mountainous high elevation regions this isn't nearly the case) as I am sure Dell Support has probably already explained. There a few ways to get around this. Do a query of all wireless devices, microwave ovens, RC devices and pleasure clubs (planes, and cars) and garage door openers. You will then need to place such devices under the inspection of a valid, certified operator of a high thermal stability micropower voltage reference meter. This sounds like a great deal of effort and expense but any typical radio shack employee could probably offer the service remotely for a fee of around 10 bucks or less (or at the very least turn you in the direction of some inexpensive alternative.

You can try to use a static defusing device by placing large pieces of Styrofoam on top, beside, and underneath your wireless access devices. You might also want so smear a small amount of viscous material upon the antenna and external interfaces of your laptop and access point. This often fixes the problem as well.

Reply to
Very Tiny

Reply to
Very Tiny

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.