DELL wireless card stuck "Aquiring Network Address"

Folks,

I have a DELL Vostro 1500 laptop that came with Windows XP SP2 Home Edition. It came with the entire drive partitioned for XP which I don't want. So I formated the drive and re-installed XP on a smaller partition so that I can partition the drive for Linux as well.

The XP install went fine. I then went to Dell and installed the driver for my Dell wireless card that came with the machine. (Dell

1395 802.11g Wi-Fi internal card).

NOTE: Prior to re-installing XP, the wireless card connected to my Linksys wireless router just fine.

Now, when I attempt to connect to the Linksys wireless router, I gain a connection (after putting the WEP 128bit key in) but it is stuck in the "Aquiring Network Address". Eventually, it times out and I have no wireless connection. If I connect a hard wire ethernet cable to the laptop, I can ping the Wireless Router so I know it's reachable via my wired network.

I've seen people recommend hard coding an IP address but then I have to screw around with the wireless IP settings when I travel which I don't want to do.

Does anyone have any ideas what else I should look for?

Reply to
JP
Loading thread data ...

Did you install XP SP3? If not, do it now.

There are three different methods of converting from an ASCII WEP key to the Hex equivalent. When you upgraded the drivers, you apparently changed methods. You can make it work by using the WEP Hex key, which always works.

However, the correct method is to change your unspecified model wireless router to WPA or WPA2 encryption. This does not have the ASCII to Hex conversion nonsense, and is much better for security as WEP is easily cracked.

Don't bother. The problem is that Microsloth, in their infinite wisdom, decided that their wireless drivers do not require any connection progress indication. Although it says "aquiring network address" it really means "can't negotiate a suitable encryption key".

Some instructions on how to use various partition managers. You didn't have to reinstall everything just to change the partition size. There are various partition managers that will do it for you. As I recall (not sure), Disk Druid will resize the Windoze partition for you on installation.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi,

Thanks so much for all of this good information. I changed my wireless router to use WPA Personal. I then changed my laptop's wireless settings to use WPA Personal as well. I copied the key from the router's settings to the laptop's settings and it's all working flawlessly. Thanks again for this.

Cheers,

John Sebastian

Reply to
JP

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.