DD-WRT v23 flash question

I've successfully flashed my WRT54G to DD-WRT v23 mini and everything works great. Is it worth flashing to the Standard version? If so, should I use the Generic Binary with the web interface.

Thanks Larry

Reply to
Larry Webb
Loading thread data ...

Larry Webb hath wroth:

Perhaps you should decide for yourself. See Feature List at:

formatting link
has all the above but is missing: chillispot, nocat, rflow, kaid, samba client, SNMP, IPv6 If you need any of these, I suggest you install the standard version. Do not use the "generic" version as that is for non-Linksys (i.e. Siemens, Asus, etc).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff,

The documentation for DD-WRT states for Linksys WRT54G/GS (any version) "...for webinterface flashing just use always the included generic binaries." I understood the non-generic files e.g. dd-wrt.v23_wrt54g.bin in the v23 Standard folder, to be for tftp flashing...

(The standard generic flashed to my V2 very nicely and the UI of the new firmware is very nice - I shall be PayPal'ing a small donation across to help keep this project alive.)

Reply to
__spc__

"__spc__" hath wroth:

Methinks that's slightly wrong. The .bin files can be used for either TFTP or Web based updates for the WRT54G. I've done it both ways. Web based for updates, and TFTP to recover after I bricked two routers. Same bin file in both cases.

However, I haven't tried it with the WRT54GS which might be different. All I know for sure is that the WRT54GSv4 has half the RAM and flash and is stuck with a (The standard generic flashed to my V2 very nicely and the UI of the

You can change the user interface to a wide variety of styles. The setting is at the bottom of the Administration page. I settled on "Wikar" as the easiest to see on my tiny laptop screen.

Ooops, I knew I forgot to do something.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

To sound like Rush Limbaugh, dittos above.

Jeff have you heard seen anymore about DD-WRT23 and dhcpd working with Windows (XP) clients in particular has the SP1 beta shown signs it is working? I really need the DHCP service running before I can 'roll out' a router for a client. I have been to the website, but haven't actually seen anything saying the problem is actually fixed.

Thanks.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

BTW, BrainSlayer has been recommending to use DNSMasq for DHCP (check box on the main set up page).

DHCP - The issue which was fixed in Jan 23/25 is that when the PC (client) would try to renew its lease, the router would NAK it.. causing a disconnect before it comes back up and properly gives the PC the lease. So, it left a bunch of seconds of disconnected time for the PC. If you weren't doing something over the network at the renewal moment, you probably wouldn't have noticed it.

formatting link
Until the httpd is fixed (hopefully in a day or two), I'm staying at the Jan 16 beta - so I haven't tested it.

Both static and dynamic have been working for me - although sometimes it would take a bit to get a lease. I hear that the DHCP NAK fix, as a side effect, fixes the slow connections.

Reply to
danr_18

Thanks, could never figure out why dhcpd in Red Hat SUSE etc worked fine (for years), but not in DD-WRT. Bugs, sometimes you catch 'em and sometimes they catch you.

Reply to
Rico

It didn't make any difference for my DHCP problems.

Fixed. 01/26/06 version is out.

formatting link
fixed my DHCP issues and also doesn't crash when saving admin settings. One change is that it now shows Google ads on the top of the page. I verified that the browser interface still works when

*NOT* connected to the internet. I also find it amusing to see what ads Google produces for keywords on the setup pages. I'm sure there's a relationship but I can't see it.

Oh crap. Now: dumpleases -a doesn't work. The -a option has been partially removed. No big loss.

# dumpleases -h Usage: dumpleases -f -[r|a]

-f, --file=FILENAME Leases file to load -r, --remaining Interepret lease times as time remaing

v23-SP1-beta: big thanx for pierre belanger for providing my many patches

26.01.2006: google adsense added to the firmware (please discuss in the forum if you dont like it) firmware downsized a little bit again httpd code bug fixed (causes crashes under some not direct reproducable conditions) 25.01.2006: 0000653 DNSMasq as DHCP server NAKs lease renewal request - v23 sp1 16/01/06 0000386 Memoryleak httpd status page 0000589 PPPoE (standard) Connect on demand is broken 0000641 sp1: 13.&16.jan: All "Additional filters" turned ON by default

16.01.2006:

0000170 WRT54G or GS hangs when (mtd erase nvram) then (reboot) from a telnet session 0000602 PPTP Internet connections drop due to ipables rules 0000301 WOL in WebGUI is out of Work 0000610 v23SP1: Rflow interface: web interface is broken dhcpc client interval fixes (connect now faster in client mode) dhcpc lease update fixes (does not disconnect on lease update anymore) wOL patch by Pierre Belanger implemented who finally got it to work
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I don't exactly love the fact that he aded Google Adsense... While, at least it's google and not some illegimate company, we're entering sensitive stuff on those setup pages... which they're using for context based ads.

There's a big discussion about it on the DD-WRT newsgroups... In the release notes, BrainSlayer actually asks people to discuss it. He said he's going to give it a few days to see whether he takes it out or not.

I haven't loaded Jan 26 versi> > Fixed. 01/26/06 version is out.

formatting link
It fixed my DHCP issues and also doesn't crash when saving admin

Reply to
danr_18

FYI on DD-WRT - from BrainSlayer:

"the ads will be removed tomorrow. for all other users

nvram set wanup=0 nvram commit and its disabled"

danr snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

formatting link
> It fixed my DHCP issues and also doesn't crash when saving admin

Reply to
danr_18

Alas, I'm with you on this, I can't have this information leaking out to Google for ads. I understand he needs money, but there must be a better way. This is too insecure, after all this is supposed to offer firewalling ability...

Reply to
Rico

Reply to
danr_18

But, the Jan 27th SP1 beta version breaks QoS. Until a new version is available, you can use the Jan 26 version and turn off the AdSense ads. Log into your router via telnet/ssh (root as the login and your normal router password as the password) and enter the following:

nvram set wanup=0 nvram commit

danr snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
danr_18

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.